Returning found gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't found crap. But I'd make an attempt if I did.

FWIW I had lost a mask getting rolled in the surf. An hour later one of my friends points to the top of the shower and goes isn't that your mask? Sure was! Someone had found it and just set it on top of the shower not knowing who's it was :)

Often gear gets found and left out for others to see in hopes that it will be returned to it's owner. It is the right thing to do. I know I benefited in getting my expensive mask back.

Haven't found anything but garbage while diving (would love to give THAT back to the owners but it's not normally labeled :D), but I did find a bicycle GPS once at a MTB event. It looked as though the guy had hosed it straight off his bike at the washing area. I contacted the organizers and they were contacted by someone who lost a GPS just like I found. After establishing ownership (made him tell me type, color, number etc) he came to pick it up.

I was half-hoping that no one would show (it's a EUR250,- ish bike computer) but figured karma goes a long way.

Yep. Karma goes a long way. I certainly would want my gear back if I lost it and somebody had found it. I once found a guy's Rolex, and I returned it to him.

All I've found lately is trash, no gear.

If it has ID of course!

If it has no ID many of us will post on a local foum with a general description asking the rightfull owner to fully identify the item.

I have ended up owning a number of unmarked/unclaimed additions.

I have at least on nice prescription mask waiting to be found offshore in 60+ feet of water if someone sees it!

Pete

I found my own dive light once coming back into shore. Swam right over it. Didn't realize I had dropped it on the way out. At least I proved my navigation skills. :D I returned it to the owner. :rofl3:

1) I have only found one item that was valuable (while on a boat dive). I had the crew tell everyone on board what was found (without brand given). When none said they lost it; it became mine. I also thought that telling the crew that dives the site often would open them to telling me if someone they knew lost it.

2) Was on a boat last year when a diver in the first group in the water saw a knife with sheath come from above. He placed it in his BC pocket, transfered it to his dive bag after the dive. Luckily, someone witnessed the event so the diver in group two got his knife back. As far as I am concerned, the diver who placed the knife in his bad is nothing more than a @$!* theif.

---------- Post Merged at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Oops. it was a lamp, not a knife. (Old age getting to me.)

All the shops here in town have FB group pages. There is also a large local dive club with a FB page. That is where we see a lot of posts for "lost" and "found".

Bill

When I have found something, I generally post it here, on our small local forum, and on our FB group page. I've returned a couple of things, and had no takers for others. As already stated, I wouldn't make a big effort for something like a boltsnap, or something that had clearly been underwater a long time. But for newly lost gear, I'll do whatever I can think of to get it back to the owner.

I left my Liquivision X1 and SK-7 compass in a lady's room once . . . I am STILL grateful to Annie Crawley and Terry (owner of Underwater Sports in Seattle) for coralling my stuff and planning on keeping it safe until I claimed it. (I found them in the parking lot!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom