Returning - fat and dopey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

art.chick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last year at this time, I was diving multiple times a week every week. I was getting really strong and graceful, finishing my Assistant Instructor Cert. Then I went on a prescription that made me gain weight - tons of weight, 60 lbs! And it made me dopey. I started getting narked frequently and not being able to focus. I first stopped diving in the ocean, then stopped attending the pool sessions with my instructor. I was too ineffective and did not want to risk the safety of his students.

The social connections fell away too, as I was embarrassed to explain why I was not in the water. Now I am coming slowly off my prescription. It is taking time to get my alertness back, but the weight has not budged. My joints are affected badly under the sudden strain. I still do not feel safe to get back into the ocean yet, but I miss my sport terribly. I have been dry for 10 months now. Aside from kicking laps (which I am still doing), can anyone make some suggestions for getting my chops back...and hopefully fitting back into the old wetsuit. I can;t afford a new one right now. Thank you.

I had often thought about you. You had been such an active member of the board and then disappeared. I'm sure you will be getting alot of 'welcome backs' in this thread.

I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems. The weight problem gets tougher as you get older. When it's a side effect of medication it can really be tough to get under control. I highly recommend water aerobics. Very easy on the joints and a nice cardio workout, as well. Of course, get your Dr.s OK first.

As far as getting back into scuba, maybe start w/ very basic OW pool exercises. (when you are feeling up to it) Progressing through the skills at your own pace, in a controlled enviorment.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Kat

Hi Art.Chick:
I still keep up with your good friend Beverly. She's such a wonderful woman. I have dove with her a few times, and she plans on going on the May trip.
So, anyway, talking to her, has made me think about you.
I bet she misses you too!
Why not get back slowly with walking on the beach, and biking.
Also, Weight Watchers has worked for many people I know.
Good luck! We're with you!

where you were! I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been well. When you feel up to it, we need to hit the water, lady!

Does your pool offer water aerobics? That keeps some of pressure off your joints. I haven't tried it, but I know others who swear by it. The bike is another thought; I could use a bike path pal at the beach.

So glad you are back! About this time last year, you helped me figure out what size I needed in a Henderson Hyperstretch!
About the weight- I understand where you are coming from completely! I gained 50 pounds in about an 8 week period when my thyroid shut down. Nothing like eating right and exercising and gaining weight :) Don't beat yourself up- the medication slowed down your metabolism.
Try not to be embarassed and get back to exercising slowly. The pool, aqua-aerobics, maybe some easy scuba diving??? You can enjoy scuba diving and be a "bigger" woman. A "BBW"- big beautiful woman!!!!
Keep us posted.
Diana

Hi Art.Chick!
Dealing with a sudden alteration in body image can be devastating. But you are taking the first step...posting here and getting the support you need from people who care. I am assuming your medical issue is resolving since you weaning yourself from the medication. That's great and I think your priorties are in order. Now you can work on getting back to where you feel comfortable and more "yourself". I sense your strength...hang on to that wetsuit...you'll be there before you know it!

Cindy

I too recommend Weight Watchers. I lost 50 pounds on WW and followed through by becoming a Leader for WW.

Here's my tip for you. Go to your doctor, get his/her blessing for your health issues and pursuit of a "lifestyle change". (It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change, if you don't change it WILL come back)

Next join WW for the structured, no-brainer, weight loss plan and pick up a copy of Dr Phil McGraw's new book "The Ultimate Weight Solution, The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom."

I just finished the book and it's great. WW will help you with the eating habits, portions, etc. and Dr Phil will help with what's going on in your head. Straight Talk.

Good Luck, you can do this IF YOU are ready to do this.

Congrats for stepping through the prison cell doors. I know too well how weight can trap us inside our own bodies. Even after losing more than 100 lbs in the past 8-10 years, I'm still one of those "BBW" deignor mentioned. Even with a VERY healthy eating plan and regular exercise, I'm still far from my ideal weight. So I really do understand your frustration.

Most people, experts and otherwise, will tell you that the key is diet and exercise. As have been mentioned here already, there are many weight loss programs out there to choose from. You are already on the right path with being active. Swimming is an awesome form of exercise that burns a lot of calories and directly relates to the sport you want to get into condition for. You might also want to think about incorporating some weight training into your routine. There's been a lot of research that shows that increased muscle mass boosts your metabolism. Besides, it should help with the joint issue you mentioned and it does wonders for donning all the heavy gear. (Just a warning though: you will probably gain a few pounds at first but it's to be expected and actually a good thing. Just means you're doing it right.)

Above all...don't give up. For some reason, when it comes to weight loss and fitness, it's always a longer road to get BACK to point A and many of us become so impatient for quick results. Every day that you make choices to support your health and fitness is a good day...regardless of what the scales says.

Keep reaching out for support.

~LittleFrog

That was a bumper crop of info, insight, and support. Yes, Kelpmermaid, I think we are overdue for some underwater fun. Natasha, I am so glad that you mentioned Beverly. She is a sweet and safe diver who I am priviledged to have learned some neat stuff from.

I have missed you all. And I miss the ocean. Deignor, you know exactly what I am talking about. There is not logical reason to get FAT(ter) on 3 normal meals per day. But meds will do that. If your chemistry has changed, all bets are off. I like the idea of getting things straight with my doctor about getting OFF the meds and onto a serious plan to renew my life. I have been on Xenical, and all it does is make me spend more time in the restroom. WW did help me once, years ago, and it is not too expensive. I have not tried Fit for Life. I will have to look up the rest at the library, as I have very little money now. I seem to do best on low carb diets as opposed to low fat.

45 minutes in the pool today did wonders for my joints, esp. my ankles. In fact, I feel much better in the water period. I am going to make it a regular routine, although they do not have an aqua-aerobics class at the pool I have access to at this point.

My life has turned upside down, and I do not like it. I have found, however, that there are lots of divers on medications. So few instructors are prepared for the fallout of these drugs. As they become more common, the side-effects will have to be taken into account. DAN has some information, but these things affect people differently. I learned a lot about prescription drugs in the past year. The drug companies seem uninterested in how they affect people under pressure. When (not if) I complete the Asst. Instructor program, I am committed to advocate attention to the medications that students are on, finding ways to keep people "in the swim" when they are not quite fit to dive.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom