Return of "HANGMAN"S NECK" -(drysuit rash)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hangman's Neck - Sounds like a bad movie....I just got my Fusion back with the Silicone Seals installed. Dry fit they really were more comfortable and stretched nicely. I have not trimmed them yet, giving myself a chance to dive them a few time to see what they would do. One of the reasons I went to silicone was in an effort to get rid of "Hangman's Neck"- you know, that rash from the neck seal that makes it look like you have been choked. My latex seals were producing a very substantial rash so I thought the silicon would be an improvement. First dive trip (3 dives) the rash seemed better but not gone. Then last trip (2 dives) it was back to normal, which is to say very uncomfortable by dive 2, and by day 3 it is purple and ugly.

I do not feel like it is too tight, no problems breathing and I don't turn blue. I wash the seals with plain water and dry them before storing the suit. I've tried seal-saver, suit-juice (both water based silicons I believe) and "personal lubricant" (generic KY) in an effort to eliminate the rash with no luck. It is not an allergy since there is no reaction to the wrist seals. I love diving dry and the suits fits well, but this is getting ridiculous.

Any suggestions?

It's by no means scientific, but I've had the neck rash decrease substantially when I trimmed the neck seal using the plastic-pipe-and-razor-blade method. Instead of scissors.

All the best, James

Try Bag Balm. It is apparently recommended by DUI for latex seals. I used it in the middle of a dive trip, and my hangman's neck actually started to HEAL, even while I was still diving.

I hadn't heard the term "hangmans neck" before. But it is very eloquent and nicely describes it.

I always used to use a bit of KY jelly on the latex to help get the suit on, and it also helped avoid the Hangmans Neck.

Jon

merxlin: The bio-seals work for lots of folks: Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Bio Seal
I actually bought one before I switched to the silicone seals. My concern is the additional girth it will give my neck, and make an already snug seal even tighter. But I will try it next time I dive. I am assuming there is not issue between the two silicone materials, like there is with silicone + latex?

Try Bag Balm. It is apparently recommended by DUI for latex seals. I used it in the middle of a dive trip, and my hangman's neck actually started to HEAL, even while I was still diving.
I will give this a try as well. Couldn't hurt!

I hadn't heard the term "hangmans neck" before. But it is very eloquent and nicely describes it.

I always used to use a bit of KY jelly on the latex to help get the suit on, and it also helped avoid the Hangmans Neck.

Jon
Tried it and had no success. Still got the rash.

Body Glide works for me, you can find it at most stores catering to runners. I only ever had the problem in salt water, never in fresh, but when I did get it I got it really bad to the point my neck would bleed. With Body Glide no more problems and no damage to the seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom