Return of "HANGMAN"S NECK" -(drysuit rash)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Body Glide works for me, you can find it at most stores catering to runners. I only ever had the problem in salt water, never in fresh, but when I did get it I got it really bad to the point my neck would bleed. With Body Glide no more problems and no damage to the seals.
Thanks. I will definitely give it a try.

I feel your pain. I'm suffering from the same thing. I also get a rash if I wear a bandage over a wound for more than a couple of days. That rash is underneath the adhesive part of the band-aid, not the cotton part.

My doctor prescribed some Lidocaine/Hydrocortizone ointment that seems to be helping. He told me to use it for five days, but when I stopped using it after that time, the rash starting coming back, so I went back on it.

Thanks,
Max
DSAT 198186

I know it's probably not something you want to hear after having spent money on the silicone neck seal....but if you can't find some way to mitigate these issues, I think your best bet is going with a neoprene neck seal. Some buddies of mine used to get the "hangman's neck" really badly, but as soon as they switched to neoprene, no more issues. I really like the neoprene -- feels much less constricting, warmer, won't fail catastrophically (they age gracefully....and when you start noticing a bit of leakage, it's very easy to cut a wedge out of the seal and glue it back together, making for a good seal for another couple hundred dives).

I assume the bioseal will not have any negative effects on the silicone (??) but it will kill latex seals quickly....maybe after ten or so dives [just a tidbit for anyone reading who might consider using it with their latex seals].

Old thread - new results: Body glide used with a new silicone neck seal- 3 dives on Friday and no rash!

OK, about 10 3-dive days with the Body Glide and the same results- no rash! And no apparent deterioration to the silicone seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom