Retractor through gromet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedadepths:
Are you thinking inside the pocket or outside the pocket? I dont keep anything in my pockets because the combination of the integraded weight and the air blader make it almost impossible to get it out. And also as evad said, i do have shears and a knife.

I was being a little facetious. I think you should at least try, ie mock up, clipping the SPG to your left shoulder (or where ever it is) D-ring. Even if you're using a console, its not going to hang down or stick out any more than it would on a retracor (likely less because the retractor won't really hold the weight of a console) and when you look down, you'll easily be able to read it without unclipping it. Retractors are a needless convolution. A mess. They suck. They'll waste your money. They're evil and dangerous........etc.

Why would you want to BUY something that shears are a solution to? So you can end up with a usless piece of wire, a usless retractor in your already crowded pocket, and an SPG
dangling like it was before you went to all this trouble to keep it from dangling? And you want to PAY for the experience.

All retractors will fail eventually. I know of some, however, that have lasted almost 10 years, but I'd say they are the exception. If you're happy paying $30+ for something that lasts, on average, 3-4 years, before jamming and becoming useless (perhaps more if you don't dive much), go for it. Or you can pay $5-15 (depending on if you can find them on sale) for some good bolt snaps and be done with it.

Evad, there are heavy-duty retractors designed for use with heavier items like consoles.

I used to use retractors and was quite happy with them while I used them, but I have since moved to stainless steel bolt snaps and am equally happy with them, and don't have to worry about retractor failure (or fanatical cleaning) anymore.

I will second the bolt-snap/bungee/shock cord suggestion.

You can tie a bolt snap to the console then clip the console somewhere on the BC that makes it easy to read without having to unclip the entire arrangement. Using shock cord allows you to stretch it a bit for better viewing. That's how I rigged the "console" that my wife uses; it's clipped off high with a small boltsnap that is tied via shock cord.

Back
Top Bottom