• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Retirement job driving dive boats?

Discussion in 'Becoming a Captain' started by 2airishuman, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Superlyte27

Superlyte27 Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    But also in the keys, Captains are making about $75/trip

Johnoly likes this.
  2. Superlyte27

720 isn't quite accurate. :)
    It's mostly accurate, but not all the way accurate, unless some things have changed.

If you live in an oil rig, it's less than 720 :)

3. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

It’s still 720, but 12 hour days are counted as 1.5....

4. Superlyte27

Yup
    Exactly right. So 480 days, which is how I got most of my days.

Wookie likes this.
  5. Scraps

Scraps ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499

Ghost95--

Every time I feel the urge to go down the OUPV owner-captain path, I re-read this post until the fever subsides.

If you'd care to write a financial version of this, I think I'd be cured forever.

Ghost95 likes this.
  6. Tom Winters

Tom Winters Instructor, Scuba

Ah yes, getting a captain’s license and sealing with the Coast Guard.
    In the Navy, I was a Fleet Officer of the Deck and once spent a full day coordinating the surface operations of two carrier battle groups in the South China sea.
    When I decided to get a USCG license, I was going to get a Third Mate’s ticket since I had years of Navy at-sea time as the guy in charge of whatever watch I had.
    The Coast Guard wouldn’t recognize my destroyer sea time as a squid, but my time running a 15’ inflatable military dive boat got me a seat at the 100-ton table. It was absolutely surreal dealing the license office in Honolulu.
    Go figure.
    I drove commercial boats in Hawaii for a couple of renewals but the third or fourth time it was time to renew, I just let it lapse. That was about the time I retired from everything anyway since after staying awake for 25 years with the Navy and my side jobs and investments, I was dog tired.
    That was just about 20 years this month.
    Good luck with driving boats sir. I made a lot of money doing that and never killed or injured anyone.

Johnoly likes this.
  7. Shasta_man

Shasta_man Loggerhead Turtle

Very interesting and candid thread we get to eavesdrop on. New perspective on how much the guy controlling the boat and needing years of experience is making to protect butts.

Ghost95s summary was hilarious and we, the other divers on the boat, were thinking the same thing about the I know it all guy.

Note to self: would be very interesting to talk to Tom Winters but never work for him. It's a death sentence

8. Capt Jim Wyatt

Capt Jim Wyatt Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop Staff Member

Rainbow Reef Dive Shop, in Key Largo is now paying $95/trip - Tips range from $30/trip to as high as $70/trip that we were seeing over this Labor day week. I made a bit over $800 in tips in the 18 trips I ran over the holiday.

Johnoly likes this.