Retirement job driving dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jobs are available to run boats in the tourist areas. Some places seem to have more owner captains than others. The owner captains tend to have smaller 6Pack boats, in my experience anyway.
Captains do tend to move around from season to season so in answer to your question, yes I think someone with the experience and license could get a job. There other things to consider...Is this something you really want to do? You will still make a pittance and you won't get to dive.

My first commercial vessel job was running a 6pack boat so, here's my 2 cents.

On one hand, captain jobs are great because, well, you're the captain. What you say goes. You can take people to neat places that other boats don't go to, you occasionally meet some really interesting people, and you get paid to spend your days on the water! What could be better?

On the other hand, captain jobs suck because you're the captain. You don't get paid much, your divers don't usually have the experience to go to the cool places you want to show them so you end up running all your trips to the same old spots over and over, and, in general, allot of people aren't all that interesting. Also you are ultimately responsible for everyone's safety, boat maintenance, and running the boat.

6Pack boats are easier because there is no USCG inspection to go through. Also, less people.

Will the divers have a dive master? Will there be a deckhand to help out? Or will you be by yourself like many 6 pack charters are? Can you handle a dive emergency AND the boat?

Being in charge of everyone's safety is something I would look at very carefully before you decide to do this. Allot of divers that show up at your boat will tell you that they've been diving for 10 years. Well, they've actually been certified for ten years and have exactly 17 dives with 6 being in a quarry and the rest being beach dives in the springs somewhere. They'll have no idea how to ascend or descend using an anchor line, set up their gear, or navigate in anything less than crystal clear water. You WILL end up chasing them down on the surface when they get lost. Regardless of your brief they'll run out of air, crash into a sea urchin, or end up doing a free ascent somewhere other than your anchor line. What do you do when you have 4 divers doing a safety stop on the anchor line and 2 divers, 100 yards behind the boat in a panic because they're drifting away?

Someone may get bent. Someone may cut their finger off. Someone may not equalize their mask on an 80' dive and surface looking like a monster with blood red eyes. Can you handle being responsible for these things?

You know CPR? Not afraid to use it?

Other thoughts and things to consider. (Primarily from 6Pack boat experience)

Your boat or the owners boat will get beat up. Tanks and weights will get dropped on the deck and crack it. Tanks and weights will also get dropped on your feet and crack them too.

Someone will show up with twin LP 300's for a 60' dive and expect you to load them on the boat. You'll hurt your back.

The boat will break down. If you're lucky it will break down before you leave the dock.

You won't be lucky.

You'll cancel a dive because of weather and your charter will call you a pussy because it's just a little storm.

You'll go out in marginal weather because you don't want your charter to think you're a pussy. Your charter will call you insane for going out in a hurricane.

You'll get puked on.

A diver will loose their mask because they put it on their forehead even though you told them to keep it on until they got back in the boat. It will be your fault.

A diver will drop their weight belt on their mask and crack it. (at least it wasn't your foot). It will be your fault.

A wife will be in tears because she got yelled at for following your instructions that keep her safe. Her husband has 5 boat dives and knows more than you do and yelled at her for not listening to him even though what he said would have gotten her hurt.

Never get between a husband and wife unless you're ready to come to blows.

Same for kids and fathers.

Did you know that 80% of divers are terrified about a back roll entry? They haven't ever done one.

Did you know that that same 80% of divers can't properly execute a giant stride entry without almost hitting their tank on a swim platform and knocking themselves silly?

How do they expect to get in the water?

Yes, there will be blood.

Most divers are cheap and don't tip worth a damn. The already spent all their money on gear and the cost of the trip, that should be enough, right?

A divers poor buoyancy control is the captains fault. That's why they got the sea urchin spine in their knee. Bet you didn't know that did you?

You cant choose your customers...unfortunately.

You won't get to dive.

The list goes on and on.
it.

I didn't read the good because the bad was so on.

There is a lot of good to be had running a charter dive boat. Good people, beautiful scenery, and a job that most people dream about. Just remember that that's just the good though. There is always a trade off as has been previously mentioned.

Now, I know I said that I'd probably not run another charter again, but...if I did...

It would be a big 6-pack boat that was paid off. I would primarily cater to certification classes (they have an instructor) or a locals only (trusted divers) charter type thing.

Students can be great charters. Normally students are very excited about where they are going and they don't know that there are way better sites than those that you have to take them to for their training so they aren't disappointed with the training site. Instructors are there to keep things moving smoothly and if you have a good relationship with the instructors the trips can be as easy as any Caribbean charter, even in the northern gulf. Lastly, if you find students that have good self awareness on the boat and in the water you can always add them to the local divers list that get to go to the better spots.

To make this happen, I would have to have a retirement income that supported me plus the occasional extra expense that the boat threw my way. The boat would have to be paid for and running it would have to be more of a hobby than a job. The boat's license would be used primarily for the cheap fishing license that is available to charter boats. Basically the charters would only be there to pay for the upkeep on a boat and maybe some "free" diving.

Pie in the sky dreams, but if I were to get back into the boat thing those would be my goals for running the boat.

If anyone has any idea of how to achieve that, let me know. I missed out on the GameStop purchase...:wink:

^^^^Can’t add a thing to either of those responses.

I have been a dive boat Coxswain, also an owner skipper of my own charter boat as well.
Most of the above happened at some point, the part about the backward roll and giant stride is valid, and the lazy p***** wanting you to do the heavy lifting also, Divers with patches, pins, hats etc is not seen often here in Australia, we are not shy at telling people they are "tools" [read, wankers] if they do.
The only thing different in Australia is nobody tips.

There is a lot of good to be had running a charter dive boat. Good people, beautiful scenery, and a job that most people dream about. Just remember that that's just the good though. There is always a trade off as has been previously mentioned.

Now, I know I said that I'd probably not run another charter again, but...if I did...

It would be a big 6-pack boat that was paid off. I would primarily cater to certification classes (they have an instructor) or a locals only (trusted divers) charter type thing.

Students can be great charters. Normally students are very excited about where they are going and they don't know that there are way better sites than those that you have to take them to for their training so they aren't disappointed with the training site. Instructors are there to keep things moving smoothly and if you have a good relationship with the instructors the trips can be as easy as any Caribbean charter, even in the northern gulf. Lastly, if you find students that have good self awareness on the boat and in the water you can always add them to the local divers list that get to go to the better spots.

To make this happen, I would have to have a retirement income that supported me plus the occasional extra expense that the boat threw my way. The boat would have to be paid for and running it would have to be more of a hobby than a job. The boat's license would be used primarily for the cheap fishing license that is available to charter boats. Basically the charters would only be there to pay for the upkeep on a boat and maybe some "free" diving.

Pie in the sky dreams, but if I were to get back into the boat thing those would be my goals for running the boat.

If anyone has any idea of how to achieve that, let me know. I missed out on the GameStop purchase...:wink:

If I were to do the dive boat captain thing, Ghost95s above post is probably the avenue I would pursue.

I run a 6 pack. Sincerely less stress than observed on bigger boats. I occasionally take a mate. Otherwise I am alone. One time I was tied up to a wreck and a passing boat hit me and ran directly over top of my divers surfacing. No one was hurt. I was doing everything I could to stop the incoming vessel from their course.

It's not your skills you always need to be on the lookout for.. its the other jerks too!

I run a 6 pack. Sincerely less stress than observed on bigger boats. I occasionally take a mate. Otherwise I am alone. One time I was tied up to a wreck and a passing boat hit me and ran directly over top of my divers surfacing. No one was hurt. I was doing everything I could to stop the incoming vessel from their course.

It's not your skills you always need to be on the lookout for.. its the other jerks too!

Yep...Last Summer our lake was the busiest I've ever seen it. Even at night. Counted 24 out during one night.
Most of them must not understand their throttle levers have more than 2 options: idle or wide open throttle. Some of their "captains" behavior was just a tad questionable; especially at night. Luckily there were no known boating accidents on this lake during that season.

Same plan for a 6 pack here. If I consistently break even after boat and insurance expenses that'll be great.

But otherwise my charter aspirations are a way to continue to "dive" and pass on what I know locally into my silver haired years. With instructors & their students hopefully graduating to "trusted locals".

Looks like you've really put some thought into this potential endeavour.

I took another route that allows me to dive in between sailboat deliveries. I typically deliver sailboats from the US to Mexico or all over Mexico. It's a great gig and I get to dive whenever I stop for one reason or another. I've got a 100 ton Masters license, so I can pretty much take any vessel up to 100' which is great.

I made a checklist of all the steps needed (with hyperlinks) to become a USCG license Captain.

Captain's License - How to Become a Licensed Boat Captain

If anyone's interested.

Attachments

• Full face mask scuba dive The Adventure Travelers.jpg
    Full face mask scuba dive The Adventure Travelers.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 98
I took another route that allows me to dive in between sailboat deliveries. I typically deliver sailboats from the US to Mexico or all over Mexico. It's a great gig and I get to dive whenever I stop for one reason or another. I've got a 100 ton Masters license, so I can pretty much take any vessel up to 100' which is great.

I made a checklist of all the steps needed (with hyperlinks) to become a USCG license Captain.

Captain's License - How to Become a Licensed Boat Captain

If anyone's interested.
Great page... i did the "towing vessel endorsement" and really enjoyed it, definitely go for it next chance....

Back
Top Bottom