Restrictions on scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although not always enforced, there are laws in Laguna Beach California against solo diving and diving without a snorkel. I've been stopped a couple of times and even denied entry into the water but never cited.

As stated, the blanket answer is no restrictions. But with some small regional exceptions. Just check with a local dive shop to where you will be at and ask. I've seen lakes that allow boating, but don't allow "water contact" or swimming. But no blanket state wide banning.

If there is anything worth diving, a local shop to that area will know about it.

The closest thing to a universal regulation, you need a dive flag. Here in the states it is the red with white stripe. Not that it gets a lot of respect, but generally required in most places.

Although not always enforced, there are laws in Laguna Beach California against solo diving and diving without a snorkel. I've been stopped a couple of times and even denied entry into the water but never cited.

Laguna Beach also has a law against "cracking open your tank valve" which makes a whoosh sound. This is of course what most divers do before attaching their regulator.

They also have a law against diving if the surf is too big (something like five feet).

California bought up some of the better dive spots and made them state parks and charge $15 to park your car and in at least once case they put the parking lot so far away that nobody dives there any more (Reef Point).

Yes there are restrictions / regulations usually under three situations: Federally owned and controlled land, state owned and controlled land and private owned lands. Examples: At our group owned NCPDRA there is no solo diving allowed. Phantom Spring Cave is owned by the Federal Bureau of Reclamation and is host to the endangered Comanche Springs Pupfish and Pecos Gambusia. Access to the cave is tightly restricted and requires a special scientific permit. No other access to the cave or the surrounding property is allowed under any circumstances. Only two permits are issued at a time with both taken for at least the next two years. Devil's Den: If under 18 parents must be on site. Open Water Certification or Above is required. Must have a dive buddy, NO EXCEPTIONS. No doubles, reels, re-breathers, knives, or side mounts. Absolutely no cave entry. Please do not remove rocks and/or fossils. Must be in the water by 4:00 pm to start last dive.
My best advice is to target an area or state, find the dive sites and do your homework prior to arrival.

Agree about the dive flags. I think all the East Coast and Gulf states I've dived in have this law in some form or another. I believe New Jersey regulates size of the flag. Some places I believe either require you to tow the flag and others that it remain anchored and you stay within a certain distance. The only actual sign I have seen was in Destin, Florida (North Gulf coast) at the bridge. I have personally never seen anyone enforcing flag laws, but am sure they do somewhere. A lot of the places you shore dive in the U.S. (unlike Canada) have enough boat traffic that it's a good idea anyway. I have never used my flag here in Nova Scotia, though of course we used it for course training sites. Not sure what the actual law is here, but you almost never are near any boats. Once in a while you may see a lobster boat during lobster season. Side note--unlike in the U.S., it is illegal anywhere in the 4 Canadian Atlantic provinces for a diver or any individual to take lobsters (ie. you can't get a license as an individual and have 2-3 lobster traps). You must have a commercial lobster license--it is a sore topic of conversation here.

Last edited:
In some inland sites, while taking a flag from a dive point of view may be a good idea, common sense says not to when you see the idiots in boats and on jet skis using them as slalom course markers.

It's been quite a while since I checked but in California you had to have a dive flag on your boat if a diver was down, but I remember it being the blue/white flag. I always used the orange flag with the diagonal stripe because it seemed to me that very few people recognized the blue /white flag. TMHeimer reminded me that in Hawai'i (at least on Maui) you are required to have a diver's flag float (orange/white) when shore diving and presumably while on a boat. You are also required to wear a BC. I've never heard of a diver's flag law here in California for shore diving but I don't pay much attention any more. If the life guards give me any crap I just tell them how long I've been diving at "their" beach which is usually a lot longer than they have been alive. :wink:

As was mentioned, the local dive shop is probably the best place to get local info plus they can tell you the best spots and the conditions etc.

Back
Top Bottom