Restoring brass latern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PB565

Registered
Reaction score
I just started soaking a brass latern in a bucket of Muraic acid. Man, that stuff is no joke. Does anyone have experience with this, mainly disposing of it after use? Thanks.

PB565:
I just started soaking a brass latern in a bucket of Muraic acid. Man, that stuff is no joke. Does anyone have experience with this, mainly disposing of it after use? Thanks.
Hi
Rember that muriatic acid is a pool chemical and dilution with water and exposure to sunlight degradegation will handle your disposal problem. So dilute according to the direction on you container for pool use and you should be able to dispose of safely down the drain or out in the yard in an area that is sandy with little vegitation

Fatimah

PB565:

It is hydrochloric acid. Dilute with water and follow state and local disposal regulations, not simply what is written on the original container.

Neutralize it with lime and dilute with water....here's a link....

http://www.inchem.com.ph/hcl.htm

another way to clean up old brass is to boil it in a pot of white vinegar and using a brush in the knooks and kranies....do it outside though...it smells like a pickle factory

I have cleaned up some fairly cruddy brass lamps using wire wheels (soft to medium) rather than using chemicals. You would think that this would scratch them, but it really works well if you use the softer wheels.

You have to be careful, because acids will tend to turn them green again, which means that you will have to soak the dickens out of them in order to assure that the acids do not leach into them, turning them green within a short while after completing your restoration.

I get best results by:

1 Get a local radiator shop to soak it in their tank over a weekend. I have one that will do it for $1 or 2. This will remove old paint, if it has been painted

2 Use a fine sandpaper to sand off oxidation, i mount mine on a mouse sander, getting the detail work with a dremel

3 use the above tools and progressively finer polishing pads/wheels

4 finish with nevr dull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom