Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is simple. In many recreational and professional environment we teach to never, ever remov the air source you are using from your mouth for helping another guy.
This is the rule for Italian firefighters, for Fips-Cmas rec diving school, for Bsac, and for commercial Italian divers trained at Istituto Rossi.

It is simple. In many recreational and professional environment we teach to never, ever remov the air source you are using from your mouth for helping another guy.
This is the rule for Italian firefighters, for Fips-Cmas rec diving school, for Bsac, and for vommercial Italian ivers
Do you guys ever dive sidemount?

Well, clearly you'll have to mount an octo if you go to Buddy Dive and do any boat dives! You can still use your AIR 2, but your buddy gets the octo, not your primary.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I hope everyone understands that Bonaire (along with Saba and St Eustatius) are closely tied to the Netherlands, and has to operate under European guidelines for things like safety rules of COVID-19. The island also needs to reopen its borders, which requires European/Nethrlands approval, so operating under guidelines like those they've published is part of their campaign to be allowed to reopen. Those published guidelines are not some Draconian Buddy Dive attempt to penalize tourists for daring to come to their island; rather, they are an attempt to get approval to have the tourists even be allowed to come to the island. If that approval comes, it will surely be staged...perhaps with those published guidelines in place for a while, then slowly relaxed with experience and data being supportive. When? Who knows. Will they even open this summer? Who knows. But I see the publication of those guidelines as a necessary and welcome first step to reopening.

I looked over Buddy Dives web page and didn't see this requirement listed anywhere.

Rather than repeating this as a fact, can you provide some justification as to why you think that this is so?
It is simple. There are several didactic organizations, such as Fips/Cmas or Bsac, and professional training schools, such as Italian Firefighers or Istituto Rossi, where the rule is to never, ever remove a working air source from your mouth for helping another guy.
So if you decide to give air to someone, you cannot give your primary, you must use your secondary. The Air2 cannot be donated, so it is not considered a valid secondary. A true secondary is mandatory.
I understand that in some didactics or organizations donating the primary is allowed, perhaps even suggested (despite the Bsac study proofs it is less safe than donating the secondary).
But please understand and accept that there are organizations when donating the primary is not allowed.
I already explained this: I am a firefighter. When a firefighter helps someone, he should never give away his air source.
If he does not have another suitable one, nothing is donated.
So if I was diving with just a primary and an Air2, and someone asks me air, I simply must refuse.
When working as a divemaster or instructor I always carry two secondaries: one for me, the other, on left shoulder and with its own first stage, for students or customers.
In such case, I find very useful to use an Air2 as MY secondary. But I must have another secondary on the "wrong" shoulder and with longer yellow hose ready to be donated.

I hope they have a breakaway for the single ender
Even GUE are advising to dive using the secondary keeping the clipped primary for any OOG issues, here under "OUT OF GAS EMERGENCIES (temporary adjustments for non-training dives)".

The Air2 cannot be donated, so it is not considered a valid secondary.

I disagree. Another poster has already stated that he took his buddy's Air2 (and had control of his buoyancy). It's not convenient, but it can be done.

So if I was diving with just a primary and an Air2, and someone asks me air, I simply must refuse.

Let's flip this around. If you have an ooa emergency, and your buddy offers you his primary, are you going to refuse that as well?

Do you guys ever dive sidemount?
Not for rec diving...
Please note that I am certified for rec diving only (no tech), maximum depth 50 m, with up to two deco stops (6m, 3m)..
For this type of dive I usually employed back mounted twins with two independent regs on two independent posts.
An Air2 is welcome in this setup, providing a third air source, which can be very useful when you are a DM or instructor.

I usually employed back mounted twins with two independent regs on two independent posts.
So you are OK with removing a reg from your mouth? Why is that now OK, but a few posts ago it was something you would NEVER do?

Back
Top Bottom