Rescued the Out of Air Newby today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was his name Ray ???

Your basic diving outfit is a mask and flippers, plus the breathing apparatus, which you can rent. But there are all kinds of other neat gear objects you can get, the neatest one, as far as I'm concerned, being: a knife. All my life I've wanted an excuse to wear a knife, and here I have found a sport where it is actually encouraged. "Diving knives are practical tools, " states the PADI course manual, "providing you with a means to measure, pry, dig, cut and pound under water." But the REAL advantage, which the manual fails to note, is that you can wear your knife strapped to your leg.

There's something about striding around with a knife strapped to your leg that makes you feel exceedingly James Bondlike. If you can keep a little secret, I will confess to you that right at this very moment, as I write these words, I have my knife strapped on. Just in case somebody comes along and, for example, tries to cut my word processor cord. As Ray Lang put it, during one of his colorful diving anecdotes: "You never can tell when the inevitable is gonna happen."

Read more here: Blub story a very deep experience - Dave Barry - MiamiHerald.com

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That was a good read actually. Very humorous.

There's something about striding around with a knife strapped to your leg that makes you feel exceedingly James Bondlike. If you can keep a little secret, I will confess to you that right at this very moment, as I write these words, I have my knife strapped on. Just in case somebody comes along and, for example, tries to cut my word processor cord. As Ray Lang put it, during one of his colorful diving anecdotes: "You never can tell when the inevitable is gonna happen."
Well Mr. Bond, I use hunting as my excuse for wearing several knives on me at any one time. :wink: Right now, working, I have two on. Which makes sense, as I work in the exceedingly dangerous and hostile office environment.

DandyDon - with no air, he still has a snorkel to switch to, providing a more secure breathing opportunity than without, why wouldn't someone immediately fill the BCD, either via inflator or orally? Just seems common sense.

DandyDon - with no air, he still has a snorkel to switch to, providing a more secure breathing opportunity than without, why wouldn't someone immediately fill the BCD, either via inflator or orally? Just seems common sense.
Been on many dive trips? Snorkels seem to be rare among divers. And we're discussing possibilities of a diver with questionable skills and practices who may have panicked at any moment - is why.

I agree. Your SPG is just a backup to your brain. You should know your SAC and be able to be reasonably close to your pressure in your head without having to constantly check your SPG.

Am I coming down on anyone who checks their SPG every minute? Nope. Like Bob said, if it make you comfortable, do it. Just try to start learning more how you dive and your air consumption so you can know in your head just by looking at your dive time and depth where your SPG should read.

And I thought I was the only one with pressure in my head. There are reasons other than safety that cause me to frequently check my SPG. It has a very comforting phosphorescent glow, and reminds me of a Jefferson Airplane poster I used to have. Then there is the name "Suunto". So exotic, and how should it be pronounced?

I understand how to calculate estimated air consumption at a given depth based on surface air consumption but I don't like to show off. I can also calculate my approximate depth by comparing my normative SAC to my actual air consumption while submerged, allowing for the the metabolic spike caused by contemplating my SPG. Who needs computers?

That is why I love wrist A/I computers (I do have an SPG as a back up) while taking photos. I wear it so that as I bring up the camera, I can easily look at my depth and pressure. If anything is drastically different than what I am expecting, it gets my immediate attention. SO FAR, no "oh damn" moments.

And I thought I was the only one with pressure in my head. There are reasons other than safety that cause me to frequently check my SPG. It has a very comforting phosphorescent glow, and reminds me of a Jefferson Airplane poster I used to have. Then there is the name "Suunto". So exotic, and how should it be pronounced?

I understand how to calculate estimated air consumption at a given depth based on surface air consumption but I don't like to show off. I can also calculate my approximate depth by comparing my normative SAC to my actual air consumption while submerged, allowing for the the metabolic spike caused by contemplating my SPG. Who needs computers?

I love it. You answers have just the right amount of kiss my ass sarcasm to be witty, but not so much "you're a douche" to be offensive.

I like this guy. Can we keep him? LOL......

Been on many dive trips? Snorkels seem to be rare among divers. And we're discussing possibilities of a diver with questionable skills and practices who may have panicked at any moment - is why.

He didn't have a snorkel either.

I think I am with the majority here in saying that BF did an outstanding job of saving a klutz from himself, and was much nicer than I would have been.

Until the guy gets his act together, he needs to hire his own DMs - to keep him from losing it, cutting another diver's time in half, or worse. Of course, he could learn to be a better diver and/or carry his own bail-out gas like I do.

Bratface - I'll be diving in St. Thomas in July (back to the island after a few years break), probably with STT dive club, but also with Red Hook Divers. Would you be my dive buddy? :) Seriously - your composed response to this is great, I wish more people were like you :)

Dandy Don--thanks for the recognition. I like to read your replies in the forums. I would call you the voice of reason, but I am sure others would shoot me down right away.:wink:

mrx300--Glad you are coming back to the island. I'll be glad to dive with you as long as you don't make up new hand signals without telling me. PM to follow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom