Rescued the Out of Air Newby today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good thing. OMG. 2 ATMs and 12 cf of gas I see a recipe for disaster. I'm not in the best of shape since a an accident, and I can barely freedive to 40 feet. Just wow.
There was some early confusion, a misstatement in the first post I think, but it was established that he was OOA - not enough to inflate on surface after sharing air to get there. Yeah, he could have done a Cesa, actually - I would have, but this newbie seemed to need help.

This thread has gone on and on...

I only got as far as DumpsterDiver' post in thread. In my world a diver hits 800, he is gone.

A young friend of mine who did his OW with my daughter rescued an aoa diver because the guy did not listen to the briefing. The kid was leading the dive, and tourist showed him his spg. Kid nods and waves him off. Tourist comes back and shows kid 0.0 psi. Kid passed off the float, took diver up on his primary and air 2. Returned to the bottom and tended to his guests.
In Palm Beach, afaik, no op ends a dive when the first diver hits his limits.
Listen to the briefing guys.

I didn't read the last few pages, but I'm still unclear on how the guy had some air at 38 ft, started breathing off Bratface's reg, but somehow had zero air to inflate the BC at the surface. I guess it doesn't matter.

Oh well, hopefully the guy learned something and you both got to practice an air sharing when it was necessary, not a planned drill. BTW, swimming together while connected by a normal-length primary reg hose is pretty up-close-and-personal....ever thought of getting a nice 5 ft primary hose to go with your air2? That's another topic, I suppose.

Halocline....yes it was a bit unclear but trying to write about it logically and my losing my internet connection 3 times made for some challenges with my memory. Actually, I forgot to post this, but running it through my mind since, i was up higher on the reef looking for little critters, he was below me about 10 to 15 feet when he approached me. Anyhow, he was looking a bit anxious like I needed to do something for him right now so I took him up without question and before we had a real emergency to deal with.

We weren't practicing air sharing. There was no practice to this, it was for real. I was giving him air from my secondary (ok, technically I was giving him my primary while I breathed from the Air 2). We were not breathing off the same reg as in air sharing, and believe me I fully know how close you are when bringing someone up with Air 2. I have done it the other way too and while it is easier with a longer hose, I don't want a "nice" or not nice 5 foot primary. If I were earning my money as DM like you are, I would certainly reconsider.

And as Dandy Don has said, this thread has gone on and on. I would be happy to close it to any more comments and let everyone just read and decide for themselves.

And as Dandy Don has said, this thread has gone on and on. I would be happy to close it to any more comments and let everyone just read and decide for themselves.
The thread originator can ask a Mod to close.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom