Rescue vs. advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A) All my PSD and responder certs have a time limit on them (usually 2 years), and for good reason. You forget, get rusty, never use the skill, somebody finds a better way, etc.

B) No time limit sport cert = You were exposed to it once, who knows how you'll perform today. I have a serious problem with the "no time limit" part.

IMHO: Take Rescue Diver after OW, retake as needed. It is all about you, the diver, not a bunch of plastic. You will learn plenty of useful skills and find out what you need to work on for your next go at it...

Sport agencies: How about offering a (within 2-year) HALF-PRICE Dive Rescue refresher course?

Sport agencies: How about offering a (within 2-year) HALF-PRICE Dive Rescue refresher course?
@lowviz: I'm 100% with you on practicing rescue skills. I'm not so sure that there needs to be an agency certification attached to it.

Why don't dive shops just schedule an OW Refresher/Rescue Skills Practice Day at a local dive site?
Divers with only OW certification would be given the opportunity to practice OW skills with instructors/AIs/DMs and could sit in on a "free" rescue safety seminar.
Divers with Rescue certifications could participate in several emergency scenarios set up by the teaching pros at the dive shop.
I see this as a win-win situation for everyone involved:
  • The dive shop gets some facetime with local divers -- with the opportunity to sell more training/gear in the future. It's a good PR opportunity for the dive shop, too.
  • Instructors/AIs/DMs get some practice working with students -- with the possibility of those students seeking more training in the future.
  • Divers with rusty OW/Rescue skills get in some good practice and might dive more often in the future.
  • The local dive community, as a whole, benefits because there are greater numbers of well-trained divers out there.

.......I'm 100% with you on practicing rescue skills. I'm not so sure that there needs to be an agency certification attached to it.

Why don't dive shops just schedule an OW Refresher/Rescue Skills Practice Day at a local dive site?...............

I'm 100% with you, FWIW.

Edit:
The suggestion to do a refresher through an agency gives a measure of standardization. In addition, people like acknowledgement for their efforts, -thus the card.

Last edited:
A) All my PSD and responder certs have a time limit on them (usually 2 years), and for good reason. You forget, get rusty, never use the skill, somebody finds a better way, etc.......

I agree with this. Recently I noticed my BLS cert from AHA was expiring. Having a hard time finding a class, I called the local Red Cross chapter today asked if I could challenge their test. I got lucky and was able to go in today. Before I went in I quickly reviewed the ECC 2010 guidelines changes.

Maybe it's because I was post-call and missed it, or the Red Cross is doing things differently than AHA, but technically the instructor could have failed me on the first skill because it was a challenge test. Apparently they decided to reintroduce back blows before abdominal thrusts in an awake choking adult. I didn't know that.

CPR/ACLS certifications are just a hassle for me because of the nature of my job, and I thought I was keeping on top of changes. I guess I was wrong. A refresher never hurts.

If you take your Rescue with NAUI you don't need the AOW prerequisite.

Also true for PADI (and other agencies), though often misinterpreted or misrepresented by dive stores wishing to make a fast buck.

I don't recall the exact wording from PADI standards. It's something like "AOW or equivilent. Equivilent is defined as at least two diving certifications with documented experience in deep diving and navigation".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom