Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say I learned more about diving during my rescue class than I did during OW and AOW combined.

This was an awesome class - learned LOADS. The instructors (and DMs and random victims who showed up over the weekend) worked really hard to throw a bunch of different situations at us, and keep us on our toes the whole time. It is physically demanding but it's also emphasized to know your own limits and not make yourself into an additional victim. I was also taught a lot of tips and techniques to deal with differences in size/strength between rescuer and victim. We had a very mixed group fitness-wise, and it turned out that attitude and flexibility in approaching situations generally proved more effective than brute force. As an added advantage, I can now get into my gear without help a whole lot faster than ever before :D!

I would say it was the best PADI class I have taken as well.

The DM/volunteer victim in the class weighed 220lbs so it was a good test. Carrying this guy out of the water and onto the beach solo in a wetsuit required some effort :wink:

--Matt

I can't add much to whats already been said except, the worries you are having about the demanding part of the class were the same as I had and even ask the similiar question here. It got me to thinking that if the class worries me should I be diving at all. It is not fair to your buddy if you can't help him/her in a situation. The class proved to me that I could handle it, thanks adrenaline, and that the best rescue is the one you prevented having to make. The class teaches you to recognize stress indicators in yourself as well as others and how to resolve the issue. Put aside your worries, start stretching and walking a mile or so at a leisurely pace, (which is what I did for 3 months before the class) a couple of times a week. Most of all, take the class. I personally think it should be the first required class after OW. As far as being overly strenuous, Divemaster. 400 meter swim, 800 meter fins, mask and snorkel, 100 yard tired diver tow and 15 min. tread, float with the last 2 minutes hands out of the water. All timed. That's strenuous.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all of the positive messages. My kit should arrive today so I can start studying and join the ranks of Rescue Divers soon. This thread has really stoked my enthusiasm for the course.

All i gotta say is great fun. Just relax and remember, "if they can grab you, they're going to dunk you." lol.. youll get what im saying after the class. Good luck

what are the worst conditions people have taken the rescue class in? I plan on doing mine this Febuary or March, shouldn't be to bad...water temp approx. 52F, air temp about the same and in a 5/4mm ful. suit

clown trigger:
what are the worst conditions people have taken the rescue class in? I plan on doing mine this Febuary or March, shouldn't be to bad...water temp approx. 52F, air temp about the same and in a 5/4mm ful. suit
Me? I would want a 7mm for sure
Before we went down to do search and recovery, viz was so poor because of the red tide (plankton bloom), I noticed that I could not see my feet :11: and when we dropped under, I could not see my buddy only an arms length away, I fixed that by grabbing his BC strap and both decending ... got to admit that it was a little creepy decending into what looked like pitch black darkness, and we both being new divers to boot :D

clown trigger:

52 is a little cold for a 5/4...but I dive dry in the 60s! We just taught a Rescue course at Lake Pleasant (about 4.5 hours from you). The water temp was 65, we were all in dry suits, and it did get a little cold. Fortunately, it was 88 degrees air temp! And it didn't get too cold at night either (we camp at the training site).

The problem with doing Rescue in 5/4 in 52 degrees is that most of the exercises and scenarios are done on the surface. So you're in the water on the surface. That makes for a cold time.

BTW, the water at Pleasant should still be in the low 60s in December. You should head down for a little diving. We'll be camping out next to the water the 16-17. You can also windsurf. We see a few windsurfers there every weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom