Rescue Diver review poll

How often do you review rescue and CPR skills?

• I review either academics or practical skills regularly (at least once monthly)

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • I don't really review much but take refresher courses every 2 years or so

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • I haven't really reviewed much since I took the courses

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I don't really review much because I teach the courses often enough

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I chose option #1, since I am a BSA First Aid merit badge counselor for the local BSA troop. I review at least once every month or two month.

When I first was learning nitrox, I had a medical question I'm not sure I ever found a direct answer for: Say someone got hit with CNS oxtox. Do you give them O2 at the surface as part of treatment, or is it contraindicated given the nature of the event?

First, by definition, the patient doesn't need oxygen at the moment. You can supply it or not. IMHO, no prob, no foul. The largely unspoken rule is that O2 at the surface does no harm.

However, there is always a 'gotcha': Oxygen Toxicity - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

Your call...

However, if you put a diver on oxygen on a boat, especially the boat's emergency oxygen, you’re then almost obliged to put the DCI process in place.

Giving them a rich decompression gas might be less "formal".

Process vs pragmatism — the scourge of common sense and the lifeblood of box-tickers and lawyers.

I do CPR and defib at least once a week... but then again it's my job :)

But even with that our EMS training division needs to re-certify us once a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom