Rescue Diver.. Are You One???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does Rescue certified mean that you are trained to handle a rescue of someone in distressed?? Just a curious question, because while the Rescue course may teach you the confidence to handle many situations, I don't believe that it qualifies you to handle rescuing that say the Fire Dept. does or some S&R teams do. After joining the S&R in my area I have learned a lot more than I ever learned in the Rescue course and has given me new perspectives on diving and rescue. Furthermore, other non-diving coursework has made me a more knowledgable and proficient diver.

And, yes I'm Rescue certified; a requirement of the Master Scuba Diver level.

cheers :)

The rescue class is intended to teach a diver how to identify stress in himself and other divers, how to react to it and how to rescue a diver if need be, either on the surface or underwater. It is not designed to make you a search and rescue diver for the Fire Department or other agency. It's really only intended for recreational diving.

Scott

Scottri: I concur.

jmsdiver: The Rescue Diving cert is NOT designed to make you a replacment for a paramedic, or a police or FD S&R diver.

In addition to Scottri's comments, you manage the axdt scene and administer aid to the patient(s) as necessary until the professionals get there. Once they arrive you turn the axdt scene over to them, advise them of what's been done, and provide them with whatever assistance they require.

Warren

Just a side note, since Fire depts and other public safety divers have been mentioned. My local sherif dept dive team has 12 members. Seven of the twelve are only openwater certified! Around here public safety diving is a joke. Most just don't dive enough to be any good. Check out some of the public safety diving accident reports on the UCRR web site. Might make a good thread.

I took SSI stress & rescue Oct. 2000. The summer before that my buddy ran out of air and started panicing. Fortunatly I acted correctly but if something else had gone wrong? Would I have known what to do? I believe taking Stress & Rescue is a necessity if you are a diver.
Stress & Rescue is the best cert. to aquire after about 20-30 dives and you feel comfortable in the water.:snorkel:

am taking the rescue diver course this month I am a firefighter paramedic and most people say i dont really need to worry about taking it right now but i feel that knowledge is power and it could never hurt. Better to take it now than wish I had later. AS far as trusting the responding EMS crew to even know what to do in a special emergency like a diving accident good luck just becouse they are in a uniform and drive a big truck with lights does not mean the know anything about diving. Some do, but as a diver I am amazed at the so called Pros on the road in areas with diving that just dont have a clue. So be safe and trust your training not theres.

Me and my wife took the class together.We had a great time and learned a lot.It was definitely a good workout.We had a small class of five which was even better.I highly recommend this class to any one thinking of taking it.

I think the more class time you have the better off you are, but the skills you learn in class should be practiced on a regular basis.

The dive rescue course is great for rec divers to help there buddies, or others in the water. Personally I have never pulled a survivor out of the water, just bags. People have to realize that very few recover from a drowning. When my team gets called out to do a search, its only that. We go in for the recovery, or evidence search.
Its sad but theres an old saying," If we arent on scene when it happens and we have to put a tank on. Its probably too late." Also if a rescue is going to be made, its usually done by the first "glory hound(cop)" on scene, and usually the first one who rushes in becomes a victim as well.
-Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom