Rescue Dive course on Roatán

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shulman77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi - I'm traveling to Roatán in late January/early February and am looking to do my rescue course as well as some recreational dives.

Does anyone have recommendations for dive shops/schools?

I got a little overwhelmed looking at all the options so am reaching out to the community to help me make a decision! (I will most likely be staying in the West End/Sandy Bay area.)

Thank you!

When I was in Roatan I stayed in West Bay and went with West Bay Divers. Great outfit, but you'd have to take a water taxi from West End to get there.

Can I ask why you want to do your Rescue class while on vacation? Seems like a waste of good tropical water to me. I did mine at a local lake. If I were you, I'd do it locally and save the dive trips for fun diving.

I'm going to agree with above do your class work up here and enjoy the nice warm water while on vacation.

Reactions: Doc
Hi all,
I REALLY don't like cold weather...been trying to move somewhere warmer for a while...
Also it is much more affordable to do the course away from home. I've done my other courses abroad and had really great experiences so I don't mind spending the time. I still get to enjoy the warm water regardless of whether I'm learning or diving!

Ok then, that cold weather avoidance now understood and part of the deal...i get it.

Now, for further heresy: a Rescue Diver course is a Rescue Diver course. They are generic and there’s precious little that one sun tanned OWSI will do, say or impart upon you that will make them any different than the next guy next door on Scuba Shop Street on Roatan.

In that 99.99% of people have only worked thru one RD course, they really don’t have much basis for comparison or recommendation. I’ve observed maybe 8 or 9 and they all seem pretty cookie cutter.

it is a very strenuous and physically taxing activity.

Suggest you do the CPR and First Aid component back home with a local RedCross type class, save precious vacay time, get the card for that back home.

the RD class is truly what YOU will go on to make of it. Highly recommended.

Thanks, Doc!

Now, for further heresy: a Rescue Diver course is a Rescue Diver course. They are generic and there’s precious little that one sun tanned OWSI will do, say or impart upon you that will make them any different than the next guy next door on Scuba Shop Street on Roatan.

That isn't necessarily true. That's where agency matters as well as instructor. Some agencies do encourage instructors to add performance requirements to courses. That's why its important to interview instructors to find out what they add (they should provide a syllabus with details). If they teach for such an agency and don't add anything, I'd suggest going onto the next instructor.

I have come into a town and only have time to eat my lunch.

Everyone is serving their version of something called a Cheeseburger, whatever that may be, for I’ve never before eaten one.

I shall now visit each restaurant where each chef will describe time me the wonders of his recipe for the thing called Cheeseburger.

From these descriptions I will now select the best Cheeseburger.

I wonder if it will taste like chicken?

I have come into a town and only have time to eat my lunch.

Everyone is serving their version of something called a Cheeseburger, whatever that may be, for I’ve never before eaten one.

I shall now visit each restaurant where each chef will describe time me the wonders of his recipe for the thing called Cheeseburger.

From these descriptions I will now select the best Cheeseburger.

I wonder if it will taste like chicken?
Fortunately he's doing his research well in advance instead of just walking into any old shop which increases the probability of mediocrity.

So does anyone have suggestions for a good dive shop/school in Roatán?
That would be more useful than bearing witness to people disagreeing or poking fun.
Anyone want to share their favorites? Has anyone done their rescue course in Roatán and want to share their experiences?

Back
Top Bottom