Rescue Dive course on Roatán

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you end up staying in West Bay (vs West End), I recommend Blue Planet Divers (https://www.blueplanetroatan.com/). We have dived with them two years in a row and took our AOW on our last trip. We will be taking our Rescue Divers on our next trip. I agree with doing your First Aid training ahead of time so you will have more time to dive.

Here is a link for info about West End: Best Roatan Diving school for certification??? - West End Forum - TripAdvisor

One thing to keep in mind is what size dive boat do they use. I prefer a small boat because I find the surface intervals give you a chance to get to know your dive instructor and ask questions.

I've always been happy with West End Divers. Regardless of which operation you pick, ask to meet the instructor and have a good chat with them first.

One thing I'd like to add is that I firmly believe that people should take their rescue class in the type of water they will be diving in the most. So, Shulman, if you hate cold water (certainly understandable - I went diving this past weekend and the temps were already 41 degrees at depth and will continue to drop!) and mostly do warm-water vacation diving, then Roatan is a good choice. On the other hand, if you are like me and mostly dive in cold, murky water, then you might want to consider doing your rescue class in those conditions. Rescue Diver is a tough course and will (or at least should) put you through your paces. Locating a lost diver at depth in a lake with 3' visibility is a lot different than doing that same scenario in 100' visibility. Similarly, getting yourself and an unconscious diver out of your and their gear while towing and performing rescue breaths is tougher when you are both wearing thick exposure protection.

So, by all means do your training wherever you would like to. It's your money. I only offer the above as something to consider. At the very least, people should practice locally what they've learned during their training. But of course that speaks to practice in general.

Enjoy your trip! Roatan is a great place, with wonderful people and fantastic food.

Reactions: Doc
Great point! I have definitely done most of my diving in warm water but you're right - it totally makes sense to do rescue training where you'd actually be able to put that experience to good use. Thank you. :)

Two considerations - if you're staying in the West End cosider Coconut Tree Divers. They have an affiliation with Go Pro Caribbean also there.

I'm not sure there's another dive operation in Sandy Bay except Octopus, Anthony's Key is sort of nearby and I believe they offer training also.

I'd look at the higher volune operations like CTD. West Endetc as they're more likely to be starting a class when you will be there,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom