Rescue course recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have recommendations for a good rescue cert instructor in the Lower Mainland?

I use a BP&W with long hose. Has anyone had problems with the course using this set up? I don't have a quick release for my shoulder straps but attached my shears to the left shoulder for a quick cut away if needed.

I did my rescue in a BP&W.

I think that the instructor is a key factor in this and I would talk to them personally about this. I did my rescue in a BP&W and I don't think that where your cutting instrument is attached is the big deal. If I'm cutting someone out of a harness, I'll be using my own cutting tool, not theirs.

There are a few items that are more tricky in a BP&W setup, like rushing into the water once you had your gear off to "rescue" someone. Again, a thorough discussion with your prospective instructor will help. Did you have a positive OW / AOW instructor experience? Could you go back to those instructors to talk to them first? After all, you'll know what they are like in the class room and the water, so that could be very useful.

I wish I could recommend the person I took rescue with, but I found that despite the discussions I had up front, their actions did not reflect what we had discussed.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll find the course interesting and hopefully thought provoking, I know I did.

:)

Bjorn

If you wear your BPW webbing so tightly that you cannot get it off by yourself, then you will likely have a big problem in your rescue class, if it is certified through NAUI, YMCA, SSI, or PADI. These courses normally rely on your being able to quick-release your shoulder straps.

If you wear your BPW loosely, then you should not have a problem, because then a BPW is quite easy to escape from. And then it should be easy to put back on, in the water, floating at the surface, as well.

I would suggest that you either loosen your straps for the class, or else if the webbing is not long enough to do so, then you buy new 15 ft webbing and re-thread it Hogarthian style so that it is loose on your shoulders. That will give you the free-play that you need to get out of and back into your BPW in the water during your class.

You might also try to find a NAUI-TECH or PADI-DSAT instructor, and see what he/she says about the issue of a recreational rescue class in a BPW (tech gear).

I know of one ingenious fellow who ties a chord to one of his shoulder straps, and this allows him to wear the BPW quite tightly, but also to peel it off with the cord, when he needs to. My own solution is simply to wear the straps loosely instead. This way, if I get stuck inside of a shipwreck, and my buddy is ahead of me and cannot return to help, then I can peel off the BPW by myself.

I'm not sure about the backplate and wings part, but I would recommend John and Alithea Nunes at IDC for their passion and thorough practice in teaching. I took my DM with them and regretted not having them as my rescue instructors.

They're certified tech instructors, so you might want to contact them and see what they say.

John&Alithea

Hope that helps,
Guanjin

Thanks for the suggestions. I took my open water about twenty years ago and my Advanced instructor isn't teaching anymore.

I can get the harness off myself but had heard there was a scenario where you are dragged up to the beach unconscious and your buddy has to remove it. In this situation it would have to be cut. I keep the shears on my chest strap because they are a lot better at this task than a knife.

Also I want an instructor that is going to be focussing on doing the best job possible teaching me, not whether or not they agree with my chosen gear set up.

Thanks for the suggestions. I took my open water about twenty years ago and my Advanced instructor isn't teaching anymore.

I can get the harness off myself but had heard there was a scenario where you are dragged up to the beach unconscious and your buddy has to remove it. In this situation it would have to be cut. I keep the shears on my chest strap because they are a lot better at this task than a knife.

Also I want an instructor that is going to be focussing on doing the best job possible teaching me, not whether or not they agree with my chosen gear set up.

There is no rescue scenario where you would drag a diver up a beach in their B/C-harness. So as long as you can get into and out of your own harness unassisted, you would be fine. You should plan to take a CPR course before the rescue class.

If I were rescuing someone in a very tight harness, I would use my very sharp knife to cut them out of it, yes, at the right time.

Here is the general rescue procedure that you will learn and practice many times in the course until it becomes second nature, in case you are interested:

Bring the victim to the surface, if submerged and unconscious. [Several ways to do this.]

Put the victim on his/her back on the surface, if unconscious, and fully inflate his/her wing-B/C as well as your own.

Ditch the victim's weights/belt and your own. [These days, this sometimes means dealing with their crotch strap, whether unbuckling it or slitting it with your knife.]

[Remove your glove and ...] Check the victim's neck/carotid for a pulse. If there is a pulse, check for breathing.

{This is why I always keep my right glove, right wrist, and right arm completely unincumbered by any wrist gauges, compasses, or slates etc.}

Begin resuscitative breathing if necessary, if you found a pulse [several ways to do this].

Continue resuscitative breathing [if you found a pulse] as you tow the victim to shore or to a boat.

Call for help as you approach the shore/boat.

When you get close to the shore/boat, ditch the victim's B/C-harness, and hand him/her over to the boat crew, or else also ditch your own harness and remove your own fins as well and carry the victim up onto shore [several ways to do this]. I prefer to toss my own fins up onto shore or keep them hung onto my wrists, when I do this, and keep my mask on my face or around my neck as well.

{This is why you always need a sharp knife or sharp shears with you when you scuba dive, among other reasons, because you might need to cut a victim out of their harness, or cut off your own harness if you cannot get out of it by yourself.}

Place the victim on the dry sand, and begin CPR if there was no pulse, and send for help.

Continue CPR & resuscitative breathing as you await the EMT response unit.

After the EMTs arrive and take over, tell them what happened.

Then go back and get your gear and the victim's gear, both of which are hopefully floating in the cove, since you hopefully remembered to inflate both wings/BCs completely when you ditched them. If not, then you are going to need to freedive for them, in which case it is nice if your fins and your mask are handy still.

Give the victim's gear to the police and provide a signed statement of the incident.

Talk to somebody about everything that happened, and don't blame yourself if the victim does not recover. Good buddy procedures on your part should excuse you from any blame, if something happens with your buddy, like a heart attack or stroke, siezure or unconsciousness, deep water CO2 black-out or CCR/SCR malfunction, etc. There are always lots of things that could go wrong out in the water.

Thanks for the details nereas.

I was thinking for a shore rescue a diver would be towed to the waters edge and then partially onto dry land before the gear was removed. Interesting that the gear is removed before they are completely out of the water but it would make them lighter and easier to handle.

I called a shop today and they were quite comfortable with teaching BP&W divers. I hope to do the course soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom