Question Rescue course location recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's great, but I see you're an EMT. I'm talking about Joe Average like me who should be reviewing the stuff regularly on his own and not just taking a refresher (or new) course every 2 years. The 2 year refresher was the only requirement when I was an active DM. The time in between I could be just twiddling my thumbs.
I certified as an EMT 18 years ago and yes, amazing how something as simple as mechanical compressions and ventilation can continue to change and vary so much. Quite a bit has phased out to make it easier. You used to have to check pulse in the carotid artery, verify none, then measure with index and middle finger together from the bottom of the sternum to find where to start compressions and the compressions were FAR slower than they are now.

It was found that most people struggle to find the site in the neck where one would feel a pulse. That was further exacerbated in victims who had no pulse to begin with. Victims were dying because people were spending too long searching for pulses and measuring a point on the chest. To make it worse, there were a lot of people with low risk tolerance who were unwilling to provide mouth to mouth (you'd be surprised how many people think you can get HIV through saliva.)

The result was a ton of studies that show that even at the very least, chest compressions should be maintained and, if one chooses, to not provide mouth to mouth (or mouth to pocket mask, etc.) and to just aim for the center of the chest and pump.

Having done CPR, the brutal honesty is that once you start compressions, your hands will always return to the same site after you give breaths...because there will be an indentation from the first round of compressions. Broken ribs are a consequence of CPR (with some exception to children who have more flexible bones, but you still might get what is called greenstick fractures where a bone fractures on one side but not completely through and through.)

I detail these things because when someone does CPR for the first time and they haven't been told about the breaking bones and resulting crepitice, they freak out and stop. My EMS instructor told our class the same thing and I'm glad she did because the expectation was there. First time I did CPR it wasn't a surprise.

Also, there are some pretty cool top-half CPR mannequins that can give feedback regarding compression depth and frequency with little lights in the shoulder. Not too expensive and, as you indicate, you'd like to have the opportunity to practice at will. Great idea to keep up the skill. You could also check out getting your EMT-Basic certification. You'll definitely feel a lot more comfortable dealing with medical emergencies and it isn't terribly cost or time restrictive, especially for basic (there is basic, intermediate, then paramedic.) Many EMT-B certification programs are available evenings/weekends for flexibility. Just a thought. I'm glad I did it as it provides a skill set that you'll appreciate having if you ever need it, especially if it saves a life.

They’re teaching to give rescue breaths while towing some one? That seems like a bad idea…
Rescue was taught as part of my open water course (NAUI/YMCA, in 1986, a for-credit, semester-long university course). The pool rescue involved BC's, but no power inflators, and no wetsuits. The open water rescue (mine was in Bull Shoals Lake AR) involved BC's, but no power inflators, and full 1/4" farmer John wetsuits with hoods and booties. With both rescues, you had to almost immediately administer two quick rescue breaths to the victim you had just surfaced. Then for a couple of cycles, add a breath of air to his/her BC, and to yours, and administer a rescue breath to him. Then tow the victim to "shore" while periodically administering a rescue breath.

You had to steel yourself for what might be a long tow back to "shore."

Several ways to fail the skill. For example, if you pressed the victim's mouth and nose underwater when you were administering the rescue breath, you must repeat the skill. If you pulled the victim's face toward you, you get to repeat the skill. (You administered the "breath" to the the front of his/her chin; you kicked up, so that you could breathe "down" into the victim, with a good seal.)

Shortly after I moved to SE Michigan in the early 1990's, I took a PADI Rescue course (at Gilboa OH). A much different rescue was taught.

rx7diver

Rescue was taught as part of my open water course (NAUI/YMCA, in 1986, a for-credit, semester-long university course). The pool rescue involved BC's, but no power inflators, and no wetsuits. The open water rescue (mine was in Bull Shoals Lake AR) involved BC's, but no power inflators, and full 1/4" farmer John wetsuits with hoods and booties. With both rescues, you had to almost immediately administer two quick rescue breaths to the victim you had just surfaced. Then for a couple of cycles, add a breath of air to his/her BC, and to yours, and administer a rescue breath to him. Then tow the victim to "shore" while periodically administering a rescue breath.

You had to steel yourself for what might be a long tow back to "shore."

Several ways to fail the skill. For example, if you pressed the victim's mouth and nose underwater when you were administering the rescue breath, you must repeat the skill. If you pulled the victim's face toward you, you get to repeat the skill. (You administered the "breath" to the the front of his/her chin; you kicked up, so that you could breathe "down" into the victim, with a good seal.)

Shortly after I moved to SE Michigan in the early 1990's, I took a PADI Rescue course (at Gilboa OH). A much different rescue was taught.

rx7diver
i too moved to SE meatchicken in the early 90s
Where abouts?

i too moved to SE meatchicken in the early 90s
Where abouts?
Ann Arbor. My LDS was Diver's Inc AA. They introduced me to extended range Great Lakes diving. Fun times!

rx7diver

Nice, I’ll have to get a hold of @Tracy you get ahold of Rich and we’ll go out for burgers at Blimpy’s…
Don't go dragging me into this. That sounds awful.

Nice, I’ll have to get a hold of @Tracy you get ahold of Rich and we’ll go out for burgers at Blimpy’s…

When I was there, RJR Jr (RIP) was the owner of what eventually became three stores (AA, Novi, and Plymouth), and Rich S. was one of his store managers. RJR was my instructor from IANTD Nitrox through IANTD Advanced Deep Air. RJR trained a group of us, his first cohort of "tech divers." Loved, loved, loved that time with those divers and RJR, diving the Great Lakes Huron, Michigan, and, especially, Superior (especially Whitefish Pt and Isle Royale)!

rx7diver

When I was there, RJR Jr (RIP) was the owner of what eventually became three stores (AA, Novi, and Plymouth), and Rich S. was one of his store managers. RJR was my instructor from IANTD Nitrox through IANTD Advanced Deep Air. RJR trained a group of us, his first cohort of "tech divers." Loved, loved, loved that time with those divers and RJR, diving the Great Lakes Huron, Michigan, and, especially, Superior!

rx7diver
That was a while ago. How long has Roost been dead? 15 years? Maybe 20?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom