Question Rescue course location recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took mine with South Beach divers miami..Miami.. Best dive class to date.

The east coast of FL would be a good place to go in the summer months. Nice diving after the course with lots of big sharks. The problem is the cost of it. Lodging isn't cheap. Food isn't cheap. Diving isn't cheap.

I did my OW and Rescue in Panama City, FL. It was reasonable, but I'm not sure you will be all that impressed with the diving. Two kids that are joining their parents and us just got OW certified there. They had to do their checkout dives in the springs because the gulf was too cold.

The east coast of FL would be a good place to go in the summer months. Nice diving after the course with lots of big sharks. The problem is the cost of it. Lodging isn't cheap. Food isn't cheap. Diving isn't cheap.

I did my OW and Rescue in Panama City, FL. It was reasonable, but I'm not sure you will be all that impressed with the diving. Two kids that are joining their parents and us just got OW certified there. They had to do their checkout dives in the springs because the gulf was too cold.
Yeah, that used to be winter snowbird territory for us. But costs there aren't what they used to be, such as 5 years ago, so my research says. But, you've got St. Andrews State Park, viz permitting. Probably the best shore dive on the panhandle.

OK we agree. But if you did ANY of your training in the tropics you would need to take it real slow as you learned to dive in the St. Clair-- or here in Nova Scotia. The rescue skills are the same procedures, just harder to do if conditions are rugged and maybe cold. Anything is harder in that situation. The rescue manual/online material is the same. It won't say "Hey, there's current and it's cold, so giving rescue breaths while towing and removing gear in this place is way harder".

But yeah I agree-- get the recsue training where you'll mostly dive. But if that may be 3 years from now, get it wherever it is first available so you at least know the skills.
They’re teaching to give rescue breaths while towing some one? That seems like a bad idea…

They’re teaching to give rescue breaths while towing some one? That seems like a bad idea…
Yeah, at least when I took the course in '06. You give one breath every 5 seconds. If removing equipment you count the seconds in between breaths (get ready on 3, more ready on 4) and maybe unbuckle one thing, then another breath & repeat (until unit is off, etc). If you determine that there is no circulation and you are more than 5 minutes away from shore/boat then discontinue breaths in favour of speed. You need to do CPR and can't do that in water. Now, they may have changed that in the last 16 years. Lord knows they love to routinely change CPR procedures.

I think I got all that right-- from memory because at times I review the old manual.

Yeah, at least when I took the course in '06. You give one breath every 5 seconds. If removing equipment you count the seconds in between breaths (get ready on 3, more ready on 4) and maybe unbuckle one thing, then another breath & repeat (until unit is off, etc). If you determine that there is no circulation and you are more than 5 minutes away from shore/boat then discontinue breaths in favour of speed. You need to do CPR and can't do that in water. Now, they may have changed that in the last 16 years. Lord knows they love to routinely change CPR procedures.

I think I got all that right-- from memory because at times I review the old manual.
If someone is in cardiac arrest, (adult) the rate is 30:2

Pediatric and infant single rescuer is also 30:2
Pediatric and infant two rescuer 15:2
Cpr changed significantly in 2019 I believe or 2018.
It helps to do it to music, as Michale can show.

If someone is in cardiac arrest, (adult) the rate is 30:2

Pediatric and infant single rescuer is also 30:2
Pediatric and infant two rescuer 15:2
Cpr changed significantly in 2019 I believe or 2018.
It helps to do it to music, as Michale can show.
OK. The rates of 30:2 and 15:2 changed at least 2 times over the 4 courses I took ('06, '09, '11, '14), not counting the recent change you mentioned. In '09 the reason my instructor gave was that it was changed to every patient receiving the same ratio-- so it was easier for the layman to remember. There was a thread (I think I started) a few years ago on this. I found out that they do a whack of tests over a 5 year period then change things accordingly. I think all these changes makes it harder for the layman to remember. I continue to review my '06 manual because at least I have all the procedures (not just CPR) ingrained in case I ever have to act. Personally, I think that is a better approach than what many do-- that is, keep doing refresher courses every 2 years to be up to date (or is required by an employer), yet doing nothing in between those courses.

We do an annual refresher, although I think certs are good for a year.
We do cpr on dead people all the time, so I get the idea of what needs to be done :D

We do an annual refresher, although I think certs are good for a year.
We do cpr on dead people all the time, so I get the idea of what needs to be done :D
That's great, but I see you're an EMT. I'm talking about Joe Average like me who should be reviewing the stuff regularly on his own and not just taking a refresher (or new) course every 2 years. The 2 year refresher was the only requirement when I was an active DM. The time in between I could be just twiddling my thumbs.

Back
Top Bottom