Rescue Certification - Dilemma... help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GQMedic once bubbled...
I can understand your enthusiasm about your class, but, realistically, work is work. It should be no question. If you have to put the class off due to work, then, put it off until it IS workable in your schedule. You may want to ASK your boss if you can have the needed days off for a class and simply not elaborate. Employers tend to respect classes and such, albeit it's not exactly a math class at your college, but you need not mention that. Otherwise, the class will need to wait. Be responcible and sensible.

Being responsible and sensible has nothing to do with work. Work will always be there. You think your employer gives a crap what you want? Or is looking after your best interests? Forget work and take the class. Work will always be there. In fact, one of my favorite sayings used to be "I was looking for a job when I found that one!" I cant remember how many times when I was younger that I wanted to do something and called my boss and told him that I was going to do this or that and when they tell you that you wont have a job when you come back then so be it, go find another. And if you are that valuable then they will make accomodations for you and you will still have a job when you come back. Life is short, dont spend it working for nothing.

jbd once bubbled...
from what I understand(I looked into this about two years ago) you must be part of a law enforcement agency or on a fire dept to take the courses they offer. Its for people who are in the search rescue business.

Thanks jbd, I'll check it out with our local fire dept.

khel

If you live in a country area,..check out the local sherif and vol. fire departement. They get a lot of the county drug seize money and use it to buy dive gear and train police and Fire people to dive with advanced training.. The fire departments also have killer compressors that dwarf the LDS.

I wouldn't recommend joining a fire dept or something just to take a rescue class. LOL

Maybe things are different in Florida but around here the fire and police department teams are mostly made up of new divers. They let them join as OW divers and even before. They usually take PADI courses up to an including rescue, ice and sometimes search and recovery. Then they take the PADI specialties Law 1 and 2 if the department is loaded with money otherwise they do without.
Around here the police and fire teams are among the poorest equiped and trained divers around. It's a real shame.
A PSDI rescue class tought well is a fine class and far more appropriate for a recreational diver than the courses tought by Dive Rescue international. These courses are geared specifically for evidence and body recovery using protocals specific to this those tasks. It has very little to do with anything you'll ever do as a recreational diver unless your going to do solo searches on a teather, use a FFM with communication and maybe even surface supplied air.

gbrandon once bubbled...

What agency was this and where did you take it at?

This is a PADI Rescue Class and EFR. I assist in the Rescue Class and DAN classes and teach the EFR.

We take some extra time to really hammer home the skills. We push the students hard in the pool and really pull out the stops on the scenarios (our best one was searching for a missing diver on a rebreather and a black Typhoon drysuit, which meant no bubbles and no visual references).

That's why the course takes as long as it does.

I'd echo Krisscuba's comments about the local FD. I'm considering the EMT course offered by the town where I work. They appear to offer great training.

In Texas, seized drug money can usually only be used for equipment and training related to enforcement and/or investigation of drug related crimes. My Dive Team has never received any assistance from seized money.

I teach a Public Safety Diver I, II, and III course for some of the local LE and FD's. They are nothing that a recreational diver would generally want. Blackwater, contaiminated diving, tethered searches, surface support, evidence and forensic recovery, etc. You need lots of specialized gear and lots of team support. Each class also takes a significant amount of time and requires prerequisite testing, so the class is usually closed except to LE, EMS, and FD (I have actually never had a civilian in a class).

Rescue, be it from PADI, NAUI, or whoever is a great course as it changes the awareness from you to being aware of what other divers are doing and/or experiencing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom