Rescue Certification - Dilemma... help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bug

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This is kinda a rant. But I guess I am looking for any suggestions.

I REALLY want to get my PADI rescue certification. I was all set in starting the class last Thursday. But since nobody signed up for the class they canned it. So that was GRR :( number one. The LDS said well we are thinking of pushing it back one week. :eek:ut: That would be perfect. That would still give me time to take the class, then do the dive weekend. Pack my stuff up and go back to school!

So I talked to the LDS the other day. They said we are pushing it back 2 weeks. Which means class is now the 21st and 28th. The dive weekend is the 30th and 31st. :eek: :( DAMN! That is not going to work. It would kinda work because classes for me don't start until Sept 8th. But I told my boss I would start work early to help setup the lighting and sound for freshman orientation.

So now I am thinking, well I could blow my boss off and probably let him down. (but getting this certification would put a damper on my next summer's plans) So it is like, do I blow off a part time job and maybe my boss will get over it and not totally hate me for I would like to do in my life.

I called some shops where school is and things just do not line up with my work/class time.

So now my next idea (I need to get the certification by December 1st to apply for this summer thing I want to do). Maybe I can find a shop in Florida, do the book work at school, fly down for a long weekend and get the certification (good idea? bad idea?). Is 2.5 days long enough for all the class work and water work?

if that sounds like it would work does anybody recommend any shops in the Ft. Lauderdale area?

Any ideas would be VERY helpful. Sorry it was kinda long, but I am not sure what to do.

Thanks!

Matt

have any other options other than PADI in your area?
I'd look around before you waste money on another PADI class.

i know that PADI is not favored around here but i wouldn't say that it is a waste of money.

Im assuming your a college kid with limited funds, so taking a private class on your schedule probably wont work. In that case, simply tell your boss that your circumstances. Tell him you were signed up for a cpr/rescue course and they pushed the date back a few weeks and now it confilcts with him. (i know rescue doesent teach cpr, but you have to bend the truth a bit to make is sound better). Hope this helps..

Is there a shop near your school where you could take the class.

The biggest problem with your scenario is that a huge portion of the rescue class is hands on, both in the classroom and in pool sessions prior to the open water portion.

You can mix and match,..I.e. I did my OW with Naui, . AOW - DM PADI several Instructors with other agencies.

It is not much of a rating.. You will pay for someone to show you a video of PADI medic first and and then take a test,..do a few rescue tasks and that is it.

There are better and similar certs that other agencies, not Padi offer to the Fire, and police dept. try caling them and see what they can offer. These guys take a course that actually trains them to hit the water to find drowning victums and evidence.

I can understand your enthusiasm about your class, but, realistically, work is work. It should be no question. If you have to put the class off due to work, then, put it off until it IS workable in your schedule. You may want to ASK your boss if you can have the needed days off for a class and simply not elaborate. Employers tend to respect classes and such, albeit it's not exactly a math class at your college, but you need not mention that. Otherwise, the class will need to wait. Be responcible and sensible.

Krisscuba once bubbled...

It is not much of a rating.. You will pay for someone to show you a video of PADI medic first and and then take a test,..do a few rescue tasks and that is it.

Perhaps that's how your class was taught. However, that's not what we do.

Rescue takes 6 weeks of hands on classes and a full weekend of scenarios. EFR and the other first aid certs (DAN O2, AED and Hazardous Marine Critters) takes an additional 5 classes).

Like anything, its a question of the instructor. Find a good one and you'll be happy.

Well, talking to my boss usually helped... anyway, I think it's better than "calling in sick" . And as GQMedic said work is work :)

BTW. can you guys stop bashing PADI for a change, I'm beginning to feel guilty of being a PADI certified :wacko: :D

with most of the respondents i.e. work is work, be responsible. Also check around in your area and see if someone else is offering the rescue course. Don't worry about which agency it is. Most rescue courses are done well since they are fun to teach. The requirements in the programs I have seen are demanding and completely this course is satisfying.

You may want to consider a private class although it will probaly be more costly then the group lesson, but it can't cost more than flying to Florida to do the course.

Another possibility is to find an independent instructor who may not need a group to offer the class.

Best of luck to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom