Requirement to do night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I reviewed the waivers we signed from both of the Roatan dive operators we dove with last May and neither of the them used anything remotely close to the phrase "agreed not engage in diving activities beyond your training and experience".
How about a statement saying you are trained or experienced in the dives you are about to undertake. I have not seen one yet that does not have it in one format or another.

I reviewed the waivers we signed from both of the Roatan dive operators we dove with last May and neither of the them used anything remotely close to the phrase "agreed not engage in diving activities beyond your training and experience".
here s a sample of a waiver http://www.blueiguanacharters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/liability.pdf

several places either illude to or say to some degree that you agree .... 5. talks about you being trained as well as other places. This one even relieves themselves as being responsible for verifying you are trained or experienced.

Other waivers reference agreement to dive with in the limitations of the certifying agency. That would be training and experience. training is always documented with the C card seldom is there documentation of experience. Whether that be to the satisfaction of the boat or the boats liability carrier.

Last edited:
I don't know with PADI, but with SSI to do a night dive, the diver should have the Night and Limited Visibility Specialty Certification.
This is indicated in the SSI International Standards.
PADI's AOW used to include night dive as one of the FIVE core dives ie. compulsory. But standard has been changed for many yrs.
So if I turn up at an SSI operator with my PADI's AOW card I might be refused to do a night dive!

PADI's AOW used to include night dive as one of the FIVE core dives ie. compulsory. But standard has been changed for many yrs.
So if I turn up at an SSI operator with my PADI's AOW card I might be refused to do a night dive!
That's why (a) your log book shows what dives you did, or (b) you do the full specialty and get a card for it, or (c) you avoid SSI.

PADI AOW should result in a log record of the actual Adventure Dives undertaken. There also pre-printed dive 'records of completion' for adventure dives. They're in PADI branded log books. . . and/or can be printed and inserted into your existing logbook.

All training... full specialty courses or adventure dives... should result in the student having some form of 'proof of training' for what they've achieved .

What if it is not formal training?
Every liveaboard trip we get (re)trained for the night dIves.

After several hundred night dives this gets a bit boring...

But I do not possess any card that claims I know how to night dive.

What if it is not formal training?
Every liveaboard trip we get (re)trained for the night dIves.

After several hundred night dives this gets a bit boring...

But I do not possess any card that claims I know how to night dive.
I've not done a liveaboard. Is the night training done by an instructor? If so maybe he could write/sign something including his agency member number/contact info., etc. Just a thought--don't know if that would mean anything to some other place anyway. "Training" done by a DM or other non-instructor would not be "official", it would just be "advice".

I took my son on a night dive at the salt pier in Bonaire, for dive number 7 after getting his OW card and did a second night dive with him at buddy's for dive number 18 I think it was... He did great... And in fact, Said the night dives were more relaxing because of not being over whelmed with everything to see... Only seeing what was in his flash light beam let him enjoy the smaller things..

Oh, And I took him down to 80' to see the Himla Hooker ... That was dive 15 I think... He left Bonaire with great buoyancy control and had cut his gas usage down to a normal diver... Oh, He did his OW class in a day and a half... As you can tell, I'm very proud of him and the training he got at Dive Friends...

And that is why I "LOVE" Bonaire

Jim...

But, I didn't take him Lionfish hunting.. That's for the next trip in march...

I did no night diving until I was on board a liveaboard in the Red Sea. An extended briefing (probably by 5 min) covered the additional requirements (how the boat would be identified, signalling with torches, hand signals adapted for torches etc) and that was us good to go.

Loved the experience - a lot different to day time diving. IIRC it was my 23rd dive. As @Edward3c and @Storker say though diving the North Sea during "daylight" hours can sometimes be pretty damn dark. Pass 15-20m and it is like someone hit the light switch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom