Required Parts to Convert Xdeep Zen to Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjrascoe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey SB,

I have been diving on a Xdeep Zen set up for single tank with the large AL backplate and standard harness for the past year or so and really enjoy it. Since getting certified around 18 months ago(have been diving since I was a kid just unofficially as I grew up in SE Florida and we just had our own gear) I've notched an honest 50 dives, have completed PADI OW, AOW, Deep, Wreck and Nitrox, and am looking to take the next step of switching over to TDI and doing Advanced Nitrox, Heliox and Decompression. I know I will be limited diving with a single and am looking into converting my Zen into doubles (I also blow through air and doubles would actually be really nice just for fun dives in addition to the ability it gives me to start moving into tech diving. Could someone please point me in the right direction for what parts I need (wing, tank straps, etc) to convert the Xen to accommodate doubles? I am 6'1" and around 205lbs.

Thanks!

Edit: Spelling

The only change you should need to make is replacing the singles wing with one designed for doubles. The amount of lift required will depend on the tanks you're using. You won't be able to use your single tank wing even if it has enough lift for a light set of doubles because the wing will need to be wide enough so that the tanks don't interfere with its inflation. If you're planning on putting together your own doubles you will of course need a set of bands and a manifold. If you have access to a TDI instructor locally, their Intro to Tech course should help you sort out configuration details, valve shutdowns, etc., in addition to getting your gas usage to a better place by improving your trim, buoyancy, and propulsion. (Be aware that doubles will tend to make you head heavy, so you might need to move some weight toward the bottom of the tanks in order to stay comfortably flat in the water.)

Thanks Rongo!

Any recommendations on the right wing for that backplate, or will any doubles wing do?

I have a 40# Halcyon Evolve, but I haven’t kept up with cheaper current options.

I ended up getting the 60lb version based on feedback from the instructor who will be doing my TDI decompression procedures, advanced Nitrox and advanced Wreck.

Also picked up a secondhand Hog D3 first stage and a classic D1 regulator to use on my stage bottle :)

Will let you all know how it all performs!

Edit: link to the wing I bought

【淘宝】https://m.tb.cn/h.UB4TqfQ?tk=RvXKdJmWwYn CZ0001 「技术潜水 双瓶 60LBS 60磅浮力 背飞 气囊袋 wing only」
点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom