Required knots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next, you guys are going to tell the OP that there aren't really any snipe to be hunted.

Jeez. You folks are ruining it for some bored instructor with a DM student out there.

Next, you guys are going to tell the OP that there aren't really any snipe to be hunted.

Jeez. You folks are ruining it for some bored instructor with a DM student out there.

I love a good snipe hunt - but remember, you need to know those knots to tie those things up too....:wink:

All DMs should know how to tie several knots and when they are most effectively used, but PADI does not require knots of its DMs.

I suppose I must have learned them in AOW, but I don't really recall. Anyway, I know them now, and many more that should come in handy. I'll be sure to bring some line and practice on the plane trip down south. :)

Actually, Deep and Navigation are required to get your AOW but after that it is up to the environment. I am guessing that the knot tying would be associated with Search and Recovery. I did not do Search and Recovery for my AOW so I did not learn knots.

Clarification:

Knots are taught in the PADI Search and Recovery Adventure Dive and Specialty classes. They are not required practically for DM but there are questions on the PADI DiveMaster exams about which is the appropriate knot to tie for a given situation.

There is no reason I can think of where a DM should be absolutely required to be able to tie knots unless they are assisting on a course or involved with running the boat. If you're running the boat then hopefully you've learned something from the captain - and for goodness sake, even if you don't, these things are not hard to do - so learn, dammit! :)

The three knots - sheet bend, bowline and two half hitches - cropped up at every Instructor exam I ever attended - if you don't know them then it's a *really* easy way to fail somebody else.

You don't necessarily need to know them as a DM (but it will help) - but of course you *will* need them as an instructor.

grogs knots is a great website - use it and learn...!

C.

C.:I'm learning my knots from the internet. But I haven't read anything about knots in the DM materials. I have no idea which knot would be appropriate for which situation. Any idea where to look this up for the exams? What exam would include knot questions?

seriously dude - go to grog's website - it's great for knots. You will also find snimstrd knots on any mumber of boy scout websites. As per my previous post - you don't need it for DM exams, you just need to know which knot does what.
so:
Bowline: a secure yet easy to untie knot for tying things to other things using a loop
Sheet bend: basically a bowline but for tying two different ropes together (especially of different sizes)
Two half hitches: A sliding, locking knot for tying a rope to a spar (or other rope)

I have all the exams and all the answers - but not giving it all away! :)

Happy knotting

C.

I am just starting my DM course and will be doing it in June, but to learn a few knots would be a good thing!!! Great idea

Knowing knots is definitely a good thing. From day 1 on the dive boats around here, the captain expects passengers to help with things. Tying up to the mooring lines, pulling the boat into dock and hitching it up, tying a descent line to a wreck and shooting a bag up to the boat.

You'd look pretty bad as a DM if an OW knew more about knots then you.

If you do boat dive, ask the crew about tying knots and which knot is good for which purpose. I'm sure they'd be happy to show you.

Well stated scubadiver888. I agree completely. A practical skill which should be reviewed/taught to all DMTs. Being asked to identify correct application without requiring the DMT to be able to actually tie the knots seems superficial. Although I can not make it a requirement from a standards perspective, I would encourage DMTs to be proficient with the knots mentioned. A very practical skill indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom