Report from Turkey :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well here are a few more shots and stories from this past weekend!! About 150 of them we loaded on my MobileMe Gallery

We took about 500 pictures over the 2 days.

You can click the link above and you will see the photo album. Click each photo to enlarge them you can download them from the site as well if you want.

We went to Cappadocia which is in the Tarsus Mountains about 4 hours north west of where Tiffany lives. We were amazed at the things we saw, first we stopped at an underground city which we were told could hold 5000 people, food, horses and other animals for months at a time. This city had begun to be dug out by Hittite people in 2200BC and the early Christians then used the city and continued digging it out. The Christians used the underground city to hide from the Roman's when they were persecuting them. The city went 8 levels underground with tunnels and stairs going EVERYWHERE! The people lived above ground but when the enemy came they would move underground until the threat was gone. There was no evidence that the city was ever broken into. They dug a shaft that doubled as a ventilation shaft and a well that went to every level in the city and was 450 feet deep! Looking down the shaft was eerie.

DSC_4325.jpg

DSC_4326.jpg

DSC_4374.jpg

DSC_4335.jpg
DSC_4332.jpg

DSC_4333.jpg
DSC_4327.jpg

DSCF1134.jpg

Last edited:
Our hotel was amazing as well it was actually built into the large rock formations on the grounds. Our room was in a cave that had plumbing and power pulled into it. We had a fire place, full bathroom and everything. It was about 50-60 feet deep and ranged from roughly 15 feet wide at the entry to 25+ feet wide in the back.

Here are a few of the inside of the room

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

DSC_4492.jpg

we also made a bunch of dog friends along the way! I know I missed a few but you get the idea

DSC_4379.jpg

DSC_4380.jpg
DSC_4407.jpg

DSC_4410.jpg

DSC_4604.jpg

DSC_4700.jpg

DSC_4684.jpg

here are shots from the exterior of the hotel

web.jpg

web.jpg

That is the window for one of the 30+ cave rooms like ours in the photo below
web.jpg

web.jpg

Tiffany was amazed at all of the houses cut into the mountainsides and rock structures everywhere she said "it doesnt even look real, its like we are in a cartoon!" I think she described it perfectly. Out side of our hotel I was waiting for the Seven Dwarfs to come walking by!

web.jpg

web.jpg

2000+ year old church below
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

We stopped a bunch of places! We plan to come back in the spring and bring hiking shoes,back packs with water and food because as far as the eye can see there is places to hike and go check out!

DSCF1144.jpg

DSC_4673.jpg
DSC_4669.jpg

DSC_4622.jpg
DSC_4600.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Wow, what an amazing place and you took so many awesome shots of it! I've never thought of Turkey as a place I needed to see, but these pics have changed my mind. Thank you so much for sharing them!

Just a Few more!

DSCF1139.jpg

DSCF1147.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

DSC_4448.jpg

We are seeing some truly amazing things here! I cant even begin to describe the look of these things as a whole a photo could not even capture it all!

We are scheduled to go diving this weekend but both of us are feeling a bit under the weather so we will see how it goes.... I hope you guys enjoy the photos:D

Thank you, thank you Robert. Your girlfriend is adorable, and dresses so well for being on vacation, lol!
Me on vacation, sweats, tennis shoes, t-shirts, hat probably...I'm going to go check out the other site. Love the captions too, makes us feel like we're there sharing it with you, what a wonderful gift!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom