Report from Cozumel - as promised

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rkoifman

Registered
Reaction score
Hotel - Iberostar. Very nice, good service, lot's of action around the swim-up bar, great bartenders, good food for an all-inclusive. The beach is there but not good for swimming. The biggest reason ohter than high quality to stay there is diving - 5 minutes to most sites.

Diving operator.

Decided not to go with Dressel - based at Iberostar, based on mixed reviews of this board, high price and the fact that they use large boats and you have no choice where to go. We were 4 people - 2 expeienced and 2 newbies. We felt that on a smaller boat we could vote things in our favor. To give them a benefit of the doubt, they do post a schedule of daily dives and 3 Dressel instructors I talked to - a Brit, an Aussie and a local guide, seemed very nice. But that was at the very end of our trip.

Tried to go with Scuba with Alison but couldn't get 4 people on the morning dives, she is a small operator so if you like to go with them, book in advance. Alison did seem very nice on the phone.

My 2nd choice was Deep Blue but for some reason no one picked up the phone.

I went with our 3rd choice - Black Shark and it's a mixed bag - 5 on a scale of 10. Small boats and yes, we could choose our dives. Old equipment but generally worked fine. Poor organization - on one of our dives they forgot to bring a wetsuit for my son and after we got to the diving site, they realized they did not have fins his size and had to go back. We had 2 instructors. The first one - Jose, was good. He kept a close look on my 14-year old son who kept running out of air (these were his first dives after certification, and helped my daughetr get down when she had ear problems - first dives as well). The second instructor (don't remember his name) was horrible. He just couldn't be bothered. We might as well be driving down a highway. He pointed out nothing, wasn't even going close to the reefs, didn't check anyone's air supply - you get the picture.

Net net - I wouldn't use this operation again. I would go back to Cozumel, though

Next time try the Del Mar Dive Shop, we had a great time with them in January, and am going back in February and are planning to use them again. They have lockers for your gear, so you don't have to drag it all over. The divemasters are great and they kept our group together (about 14). They did add the occasional single or couple divers to our group, but we had some of our own divemasters and an instructor with us so they weren't too concerned about our group.
Really friendly operation, well maintained boats. Had small and large boats, so they can accomodate all kinds. We were able to negotiate a great group price and free shore dives any time we want.

Next time try Dive Paradise.
They have small fast boats and will let you choose sites.
My dive buddies have been using them for about ten years with no problems.

I'm planning a trip for Dec......Can hardly wait

I am a really big proponent of you get what you pay for. Thats why I don't mind paying a little extra for Aldora. C'est la vie!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom