Report from Beach 8th St in Brooklyn today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just thought I would post it for those of you who haven't been here yet and may be interested...

I thought I would give a detailed update for Beach 8th Street, formerly called Almost Paradise, the name of the business that used to run a shore diving facility here. Basically that now means park at your own risk and use the potty before you arrive or go in the water. Two years ago I first dove here and it was a great little property in Queens but Almost Paradise has since closed. Construction has not begun, and doesn't look like it will begin anytime soon, on the condos slated to be built here on the beach. Someone has removed a bit of the fence so access to this little piece of beach is once again possible (and has been for some time) but who knows for how long. SO, here is the honest skinny on what is now Beach 8th Street, as of today, from my perspective. First, you MUST dive at slack tide and carry a dive flag. Boat traffic and currents are relentless otherwise. Don't let this scare you though. Once slack arrives the place turns into a big bathtub. Very calm for about an hour. Second, be prepared for visibilty as low as 1 foot (yes ONE) or as good as 10 feet but probably 5 or less like we had today. Third, this is an interesting part of NYC. You are basically diving off the beach in Far Rockaway by JFK airport, in the middle of low income housing units and adult assisted living communities. It is safe, but just keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings. Most of the characters you WILL see are harmless. Slack tide also brings 30+ divers on weekends so you won't be alone. My favorite part of today was listening to a local fellow puke as we suited up, lol. Fourth, make sure you park on the Beach 8th street side and not Beach 9th street or you won't have access to the safest diving location. If you have a GPS then park by the Rockaway Manor Home for Adults (145 Beach 8th St
Far Rockaway, NY 11691) and center on N40 35.728 W73 44.579. Arrive early, maybe 1+ hrs early or more, or you won't get parking due to other divers and classes. Suit up at your car after checking out the sandy beach entrance. Fitfth, the dive has lots of life like snails, crabs, horse shoe crabs, bass, lobster, jellyfish, Corona bottles, fluke, mussels, kelp and god knows what else. Temps on 7/2/06 were 60f at 20 feet. Depths to 40+ but that takes you into the boat channel. This is an easy but low viz dive as long as you go at slack. Also, watch out for fishing line and people casting from the rocks. Finally, This (http://didieterdiving.com/resources/resourcesindex.html) dive shop lists current slack tides and can assist with rentals and info too as they seem to always be there on weekends with classes. Have fun and see you there! If you dive at the end of the summer, you may even see tropicals. BTW, due North takes you back to shore and South directly out to the boat channel. Hey, it isn't heaven but it's free!:wink:

JS1scuba:
B 8th street is not in Brooklyn, it is in Queens. Rockaway is part of the Borough of Queens, not Brooklyn.

Cheers

JDS

Yep, it sure is. Don't know why I typed Brooklyn after living in Queens for almost 10 years, lol.:D Oh well. Fixed that. Thanks.

Went back on the 4th of July. Better visibilty. Maybe 5+ feet. More than enough for a 20 foot dive. Found a better dive spot with more rocks and life. This is a really nice little spot to creature watch. Fewer divers too silting the place up. Slack was 3:02pm. Of course the second time diving it was more fun as we were more familiar with the drill and new what to expect.

Nice report. I was hoping that the beach was closer to the subway stop, but it looks like a car is a must. There goes my NYC dream of getting on the subway, going for a dive, then coming home on the subway. Oh well.

berty:
Nice report. I was hoping that the beach was closer to the subway stop, but it looks like a car is a must. There goes my NYC dream of getting on the subway, going for a dive, then coming home on the subway. Oh well.

You should check out the boat diving at Sheepshead Bay then. Course you have to get there at 5:30am and there's still a bit of a walk from the subway stop, and the price of the boat is several times the price of a taxi. But hey, it's your dream.

Went again this Saturday and the viz was almost 10 feet. Very large Stripers and Black fish too. It gets better every time I go!

did my first night dive there. the place was great underwater. as for the people there just lock your car and don't talk to the crack-heads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom