Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"It is not that we endorse the disturbance of any reef whether it be taking items from a wreck or shells from a reef, it is more of the fact that we are a realist in knowing from years of experience that people are going to do these things regardless of what we allow."

"I was as surprised as anyone when I saw items coming aboard from the wreck, especially knowing the potential dangers of penetration of such a deep wreck."

Sorry. Maybe that's only the "abetting" part of "aiding and abetting," but it's definitely not fuzzy logic to say that the Captain is, at least in part, responsible for what happens on HIS ship.

However, I do agree that everyone is entitled to a fair "trial," and that I'm sure that many facts are missing. There is an investigation going on. Let's wait for its conclusion before we are too quick with our own.

Alex

Diver Dennis:
This whole thing was not about whether Capt. Thorsen has a good operation or not, although he brought the issue up by describing how professional he is, it's about whether he knew Mr. Sleepy took the items. He did know, said he was not too happy about it but went on to say how responsible Mr. Sleppy is. By turning a blind eye to it, it is my opinion he is condoning the taking of these items. All the other stuff he talks about is in contradiction to this fact or tries to justify it.

Dennis: Your comments are accurate and yet I need to add a sentiment of mine......

Above you said: "By turning a blind eye to it, it is my opinion he is condoning the taking of these items. All the other stuff he talks about is in contradiction to this fact or tries to justify it."

When I read that I picture a young child whose had their hand in the cookie jar and caught red handed (or chocolate chip handed) but the angry parent just want let up on the scolding and isn't going to be satisfied until the poor kid confesses and tells how many cookies were eaten.

I started driving charter boats for hire in the late '80's and have dealt with all manner of professionally-licensed mariners. This guy sounds like a real meatball, but then, since he already knows everything, he already knows that too.

Don Janni:
Dennis: Your comments are accurate and yet I need to add a sentiment of mine......

Above you said: "By turning a blind eye to it, it is my opinion he is condoning the taking of these items. All the other stuff he talks about is in contradiction to this fact or tries to justify it."

When I read that I picture a young child whose had their hand in the cookie jar and caught red handed (or chocolate chip handed) but the angry parent just want let up on the scolding and isn't going to be satisfied until the poor kid confesses and tells how many cookies were eaten.

I agree Don. In fact I posted on the other thread that we have had enough bashing and it's time to move on. Th main thing is that we have raised awareness of the entire problem, not just this one incident.

I do stand by that description though.

Diver Dennis:
In fact I posted on the other thread that we have had enough bashing and it's time to move on.

And yet for some reason, you contiued to post here. If people think the thread has been beaten to death, maybe they need to stop reading it and more so, stop posting to it. Go out and go diving....

But for others that have not had a chance to make their post, I say you're welcome to add your comments and observations as you see fit. The facts may not be 100% but then again, go watch the news. They get a lot wrong too.

Allison Finch:
I would like to dive the ship years from now and still see it as an interesting wreck, not one with plundered wires hanging all over.

What makes a plundered wire any different from the all out mess of wires that were already hanging all over when she was originally sunk?

I don't have any problem with his reply, and I would have no problem diving with his operation. It's not his job to be the good shepard of the sea, and his stated objective is the safe passage of his charges. That's all I want on a charter, nothing else. blaming him for the destruction of a reef is rediculous, and he's right, it's gonna happen. Frankly, I could care less if divers "plunder" artifacts from wrecks, and have done my fair share of it in the past. ( provided it's not a tomb) In the end, the wreck stands as it would anyway, even if a fiew guages, or port holes are missing. It's not the end of the world. In a fiew more years you would be hard pressed to make out any of them from the growth anyway.

webhead:
And yet for some reason, you contiued to post here. If people think the thread has been beaten to death, maybe they need to stop reading it and more so, stop posting to it. Go out and go diving...

I'll continue to post to keep the facts straight. What did my post give? Just the facts no bashing. Believe it or not the facts help to quell arguments based on fiction.

All this noise... Does anyone even remember how the Oriskany came to be where she now is? She is a rusty hulk of metal, sunk primarily for the sake of fishermen, with diving merely an afterthought. And the only reason she was even considered for sinking in the first place, vs. being sold to India to be chopped up and melted into what would shortly become the bumper of a garbage truck in China, is concerns over hazardous materials and working conditions of foreign workers. Please, people, get off your high horse and go worry about and expend energy and emotion on things that really matter...

EDIT: The "rusty hulk of metal" is in no way meant to cheapen the history of the ship as well as the men and women that served on her, nor their sacrifices. We all owe them a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom