Reply from Viking re: Oriskany ripoff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harm was done, theft of public property damages us all.

Thalassamania:
Harm was done, theft of public property damages us all.

Interesting theory. How does this theft damage you? Unless you have dived the wreck previously and seen the item in its prior state, you would never know that it was supposed to be there and is now missing in which case you could argue that you were somehow harmed because you 'miss' it, but that's quite a generalization you are making without justification.

Thalassamania:
No mention of $5K, try (for your home state):

Massachusetts penalties for larceny are divided into the categories of larceny over $250 in value, and larceny under $250. They can go up to :
  • 5 years in prison and a $25,000 fine if the property stolen exceed $250 in value.
  • 1 year in prison and a fine of $300 if the property stolen is less than $250 in value.

The category and penalties apply to the location where the larceny occurred. Since it's outside the jurisdiction of the state of Florida, they need to file a grievance with the federal government who would have to press federal larceny charges, if they cared to pursue the case. So how it applies state for state is irrelevant. Possession of stolen goods could be charged if the items are found in the state of Florida; but they would have to prove that the items were owned by the state of florida.

Can I go into your garage and take anything that you've not used for the last six months?

Soggy:
Interesting theory. How does this theft damage you? Unless you have dived the wreck previously and seen the item in its prior state, you would never know that it was supposed to be there and is now missing in which case you could argue that you were somehow harmed because you 'miss' it, but that's quite a generalization you are making without justification.

LOL. What if you saw a picture of it in its previous state? Dude you crack me up. :lol:

Thalassamania:
Can I go into your garage and take anything that you've not used for the last six months?

Please come to my garage! Take everything but my dive gear, I'm tired of all that junk laying around.:D

FD

The state of Florida owns it...they already stated that in previous threads....the thread from Mr. Turpin stated that Florida owned it and it was illegal to remove items from it.

Don Wray:
The state of Florida owns it...they already stated that in previous threads....the thread from Mr. Turpin stated that Florida owned it and it was illegal to remove items from it.

If a californian travels to Massachusetts, and his avocado is stolen in Logan Airport's central parking, can California press Grand Theft Avocado on the perp?

Now expand that a little. Can Florida press larceny charges for a crime that occurred outside their jurisdiction?

Frog77:
LOL. What if you saw a picture of it in its previous state? Dude you crack me up. :lol:

If you go down to the same spot with all your hopes up that you'll see that gauge, ignore the fact that you are on an 800 ft long wreck, and are devastated by the fact that it is missing, I guess you might have been harmed in some way. But if I spill milk and it makes you cry, I guess you were harmed by that, too. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom