Replacing regular hose with Miflex or braided version

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikefreekz

Contributor
Reaction score
anyone here done that themselves? thought of getting those braided version from diverite express and change them out myself, just not sure how easy a job to do that...

It's easily done with an adjustable wrench (or a fixed open-ended wrench of the right size). Just be careful when you tighten it up that you don't over-do it.

R..

It's a piece of pie to do.

as all have said, its easy, as long as you do not have SP regs with the non standard nut on the air barrel of the second stage. A special wrench is then required.

Replacing the hoses is simple if you follow a couple of simple rules. Use the correct wrenchs, adjustables are not the best idea and those multi blade scuba tools will often times damage the hose ends if the last tech got happy with the wrench and/or the hoses have gotten. On some second stages, you need a special thin wrench to get next to the second stage, not using this wrench can cause you big problems if the connection is tight/corroded.
The big thing is to start the hoses straight and not to overtighten them. Install the hoses all the way by hand until the orings seat, if you have any resistance, stop and find out why, the hose should go on very easily. Once you have it all the way up by hand, then snugg them down gently. I usually suggest you pull the wrench with no more than two fingers, just enough to keep them from moving is all that is needed. The orings do the sealing and DO NOT require much torque to work. If you have a leak, more torque is not the answer, you have a bad oring,a damaged hose or seating surface or trash on the seat/oring. DO NOT tighten it more, remove the hose and fix the problem.

thanks all for the replies, any suggestion which should i go for? miflex or diverite express braided hose? or it's down to preference?

I have miflex and phantom on the same setup-can't tell a difference.

On my Apeks regs, a standard wrench doesn't work, I needed to get a thinner wrench to separate the second stage from the hose. However, a set of thin wrenches was about $10 at Harbor Freight Tools.

I am also a little paranoid about over-tightening, so I use a torque wrench to tighten to 40 inch pounds (as per manufacturer spec).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom