Replacing hose on regulator...what lubricant to use for threads? Urgent!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assume Dow 111 is the standard silicone grease we use. I find the silicone grease to last longer and be more water resistant than Tribolube 71. I've noticed this on my Zeagle BX power inflator which gets wet on every dive. With the Tribolube, the thing needs to be taken apart more frequently to keep from sticking. The Tribolube is like a cream emulsion, whereas the silicone is more like a clear grease gel.

---------- Post added December 24th, 2015 at 01:57 PM ----------

OK, so another related question. Do you use any grease on the DIN reg threads or the DIN O ring?

NNNNOOOOOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:shocked2: Jesus!!! $42 for 2 oz. Spit sounds like a good option.

That 2oz tube will last you a lifetime...

Jim...

That 2oz tube will last you a lifetime...

Jim...

Probably my kids and future grand kids too. Being that I have two regs sets and don't intend on servicing them myself every year I dont see the need for it. If I swap a hose out I'll just skip the lube or let my shop do it as I know they have this "magic lube". *I'll probably catch heat for that statement, but the price of some things are mind boggling. Ever calculate how much 5 Hour Energy Shot is per gallon?

*Obviously it makes sense if you have a bunch of regs and service them yourself.

In our shop we lube. There are very few true static orings that remain lube free. There is no down side to a light lube of threads, and many reasons why it is a good idea. We use only Christolube. Silicone based products are no allowed on or near our service bench as we do O2 cleaning and service and contamination is just not worth the risk for the very small amount of money it would save.

True, but get a long neck syringe with a very small hole or you will waste more wiping the excess off your finger that what the O-ring needs.

That's what I use... as a matter of fact... It comes with a little plastic tube rubber banded to the syringe plunger for shipping... I cut it down a little and re-installed it as a stopper.... Stops the " Oh crap " that's too much....:wink:

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom