Replacing dump valve string (Old Halcyon)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
JeemyT

JeemyT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. Recently had the string on my dump valve snapped completely off and lost. Does anyone have any DIY solutions? Using a 2015 Halcyon Eclipse. Will a newer 2019+ replacement set work ok?
Cheers

PXL_20240819_022300123.jpg

Hi all. Recently had the string on my dump valve snapped completely off and lost. Does anyone have any DIY solutions? Using a 2015 Halcyon Eclipse. Will a newer 2019+ replacement set work ok?
Cheers

View attachment 856581
Flip the piece over that the string should go into and pop off the little cap, then get a new string and stick it in there. I like to use paracord with the core removed

Or get a new one

Unless you have finished with those piddly skinny strings, and decide to install youself a stiff fat one

290 033a.jpg

There is absolutely no requirement to be slopping around any glue, that doesn't stick anyway anywhere

Did I tell you about the guy that told me I needed a big knob tied on my string so I could find my string

Seriously, he had two, of those wallets that open up from your shoulder to the floor, full with Cert cards

Two wallets

I used some 0.020 stainless steel safety wire to replace my wife's when it broke. I cut the non-stainless steel cable off of the dump valve and inflator and used my safety wire pliers to twist the new one in place. This will outlive the rest of it for sure.
I bought the BCD second hand, so I suppose the cord had just had enough. It's been going for almost 10 years after all. the steel option sounds rigid? I was hoping more for a loose and floaty option

I see aquaseal neoprene cement is widly used. Will it work on plastic parts though?
Yes but it's more or less permanent. Next time it breaks you won't be able to replace it.

If you can't find neoprene cement you can use contact cement, which is more less the same stuff.

Back
Top Bottom