Replacing dump valve string (Old Halcyon)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
JeemyT

JeemyT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. Recently had the string on my dump valve snapped completely off and lost. Does anyone have any DIY solutions? Using a 2015 Halcyon Eclipse. Will a newer 2019+ replacement set work ok?
Cheers

PXL_20240819_022300123.jpg

I bought the BCD second hand, so I suppose the cord had just had enough. It's been going for almost 10 years after all. the steel option sounds rigid? I was hoping more for a loose and floaty option
Disregard, I was up late and thinking of something else in my sleep deprived brain.

If in a hurry- for example this happened in the middle of a liveaboard safari- you can use the OPV valve from your spare DSMB. Assuming you have one. Or from an old BCD, many dive clubs have old junk that you can salvage an OPV from.

For a provisory repair, you don't really need to glue- just detach the rubber disc, place the cave cord- if the stopping knot is not huge, then the rubber disc will hold against the spring. However, I think it is better to glue it.

Also not a bad idea to have a spare one- they are really inexpensive and may come handy when needed.

If in a hurry- for example this happened in the middle of a liveaboard safari- you can use the OPV valve from your spare DSMB. Assuming you have one. Or from an old BCD, many dive clubs have old junk that you can salvage an OPV from.

For a provisory repair, you don't really need to glue- just detach the rubber disc, place the cave cord- if the stopping knot is not huge, then the rubber disc will hold against the spring. However, I think it is better to glue it.

Also not a bad idea to have a spare one- they are really inexpensive and may come handy when needed.
The rubber disk is on the underside of the part (far left in image). It doesn't actually want to come out, it's pretty stuck. Maybe the halcyons are set up different, because I seem to recall my last Scubapro bcd had an easily detachable rubber disk. Would anyone know if the newer Halcyon wings are fitted with a different valve?

The rubber disk is on the underside of the part (far left in image). It doesn't actually want to come out, it's pretty stuck. Maybe the halcyons are set up different, because I seem to recall my last Scubapro bcd had an easily detachable rubber disk. Would anyone know if the newer Halcyon wings are fitted with a different valve?
Just carefully pry and peel the disk out, remove any remnants of the old string, knot a length of new string and pass it through the hole, replace the disk, and reassemble the the OPV valve. Any further thought is making too much of a very simple repair.

-Z

Just carefully pry and peel the disk out, remove any remnants of the old string, knot a length of new string and pass it through the hole, replace the disk, and reassemble the the OPV valve. Any further thought is making too much of a very simple repair.

-Z
Cheers for the help. Can you think of something that could substitute the plastic handhold that normally comes on the end of the string? I was thinking a ping pong ball, but not sure how that'll hold up underwater. I'd like to avoid just having a big knot on the end if possible

Cheers for the help. Can you think of something that could substitute the plastic handhold that normally comes on the end of the string? I was thinking a ping pong ball, but not sure how that'll hold up underwater. I'd like to avoid just having a big knot on the end if possible
A simple knot is the best handle, just like in the pic (Replacing dump valve string (Old Halcyon))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom