Replacing DUI rockboots with Converse All Stars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Chuck Taylors insead of Rockboots. The rockboots were too wide. I also use bootlaces that are extra long and can wrap around like the rockboots. I plan to fashion velso holders one of these days.
This really is a horrible picture of me (I look like a burnt potato... or a blackened marshmallow) BUT it shows my cool chucks which I got for $20 on clearance. Zappos.com has a huge selection. I wear mine two sizes larger than normal.

5.18.2006%20025.jpg

I use a pair of C.T. over my bare drysuit socks - I chose 1 size larger, but next time would prefer 2 sizes larger. I wear a size 13 shoe, so 14 chuck taylors which are beautiful fit in Turtles, but much too loose in XXL Jets (maybe size 16+ would work in XXL Jets)

One advantage that has been mentioned several times to me is that they make me easier to see.

Aloha, Tim

sml.jpg

Nice shoes Cheryl!

Onfloat, I think Scubapro needs to make an XL 1/2 to help out us people in the middle.

I wear size 13 Chucks, and I have a size 12 street shoe. They fit well when I wear them over Weezle socks and Bare XXL soft boots, and they're a good fit in my Turtles.

They're tech-black though, so I've got to check out the customs next time around.

Just got my drysuit back from having rockboots retrofitted by DUI. I wear size 12 street shoes, and I asked them to size the neoprene socks and boots to wear with 400g thinsulate booties. The socks fit fine with the booties, but the size 13 rockboots they provided were too small. I've asked the LDS to order me a pair of size 14 rockboots from DUI to swap, but given how long it took the thinsulate booties to show up I have little confidence that I'll have them in time for my pool and ocean dives next weekend. Does anyone know what size chucks correspond to a size 14 rockboot? I know I could go buy 2-3 pairs in different sizes and return the ones that don't fit, but I'm hoping to shortcut the process. Even when the replacement rockboots show up it'll be nice to have a pair of backups. Who knows, maybe the rockboots will become the backups if I find a really cool pair of chucks!

This is a brilliant idea! I wish I had found out about this sooner. One question comes to mind, does the lack of a heel on the Chucks make it difficult to climb ladders? Thanks!

Actually I find the Chucks work well because they have a felt type sole covering which helps in wet conditions more than bare rubber imo.

I didn't find ladders any more difficult, then again I don't have near as much gear to contend with as you do either I'm sure...

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
I didn't find ladders any more difficult, then again I don't have near as much gear to contend with as you do either I'm sure...

Tim,

Sadly, this is probably true. :11doh: Thanks for the tip. I'm going to give this a try.

J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom