Replacement camera recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrothead600

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using a SeaLife DC500 (pro set) . Unfortunatley, I lost it a couple of weeks ago when my house burned down. Now, I am in the process of listing all of my belongings that were lost for my insurance claim. I know that this camera has been out of production for a while. Does anyone have a link to any retailers that may have a new one avalible for pricing purposes.
When I do actually replace it, What would you recommend that I get? I have always been happy w/ the pictures from this camera & have had zero issues with it since I found a high capacity battery. Thanks in advance

Oh Man Parrothead...So sorry to hear about that....But It gives you a great chance to upgrade. (if the insurance company is good. :). We need to find out how rabid a UW photograper you are. Do you just drag it along when you dive or do you dive to take photographs???

You might try contacting SealifeJoe here on SB. He might be able to steer you to someone who can give you a current value. Also look up prices on sites like Ebay.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I lost a small barn with Indian, Harley parts, old dive gear, antique tools, and spare tools for my trade. Major headache, and loss, even with insurance. Tons of hard research required to establish values.

I can't begin to imagine how much worse losing your house would be. I wish you the best.

I have been trying to recall the original cost of my DC500 pro pack set up. Somewhere in the 800-1000 range, if I remember. It's been a while.

You're right, it is a decent camera. Course now you'll have to upgrade! As I said, good luck.

I bought mine new shortly after it came out in 2005. I have since upgraded to the DC1000 which I like better, but I believe the pricing for the 1000 is the same as the 500 was at the time. That is, camera only, Pro, or Elite sets were the same for the DC500 as the DC1000 is now. That has been true for every upgrade of the DC500.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I can't imagine how busy you must be, too, as a result.

I do have "replacement value" insurance. I need to find a price on a new "comparable replacement" for the purposes of my inventory list. This price that i provide will be the maximum that I will be reimbersed after I replace it. I have plenty of time to look for a bargain later.
The only thing that I would have changed on my DC500 is the shutter lag. Have there been any issues with any of the newer Sealife cameras? I am not a very avid shutterbug (or should I say shutterfish) as most of my diving is in low-vis water. I do like the idea of a small removable camera, so the Reefmaster Mini would not be an option.
Thanks for your concern on the loss. It is still hard to believe. Before this happened, I was busier than a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest. Now my priorities have had to shift. I'll be glad when this is all over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom