Rental tanks leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReeferBen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So we are renting tanks in the BVI. We keep getting tanks that leak from where the valve screws into the tank. It's not the valve itself leaking, but the connection. Seems to me this would indicate bad tank threads? What do you guys think?

Sounds to me like bad glands and bad main orings, probably caused by salt corrosion compromising the face and seal

Tell them to fix/maintain their damn tanks as you are not paying for air you do not get.

I think it is a bad o-ring. Mention it to the shop and they can change it in a few minutes, once the tank is drained. In the mean time they should give you a new tank.

close the valve on the cylinder, then remove your reg without bleeding off the pressure. It will blow the o-ring off and they will have to fix the problem :D

close the valve on the cylinder, then remove your reg without bleeding off the pressure. It will blow the o-ring off and they will have to fix the problem :D

It's not the o- ring on the valve face leaking but the connection where the valve screws in the tank.

I think it is a bad o-ring. Mention it to the shop and they can change it in a few minutes, once the tank is drained. In the mean time they should give you a new tank.

Yeah probably is the oring in the inside but we are taking 6 tanks at a time. Today 3 of the 6 leaked from that area. My brother is VIP certified and said the neck looks corroded as well. The place doesn't have the best kept gear. They are the only shop around that has tanks left right now in high season.

Hmm, if there is corrosion on the tanks that might be a different story. I guess I've been lucky. I have been to a dozen islands in the Caribbean and never seen a single tank with corrosion. Three out of six tanks with problems leads me to think you might be right.

I guess the best you can do is complain. If there is water nearby, take the tanks to the water and check them for leaks. If they leak, bring them right back for an exchange. Also, check with other shops in the morning to see if the situation is changing. Hopefully some other shop will get a few spare tanks before you come home.

We spent 2 weeks in Jamaica, I swear, every tank or reg we used leaked.

We spent 2 weeks in Jamaica, I swear, every tank or reg we used leaked.

Jamaica isn't really one of the islands I'd recommend for diving. I'd go diving in Jamaica because "a bad day diving is still better than a good day at the office." :wink:

The only time I've been diving in Jamaica, I was staying at a super all-inclusive resort in Negril. The dive sites were good for a new diver but not good for an experienced diver. Because the resort was fairly high end all the equipment was like new.

I'd suspect some shops in Dominican Republic and Cuba might have some questionable equipment as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom