Rental Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our shop requires the students to have their own mouthpieces, and we absolutely zip-tie them on in the pool. It would seem like a very bad example to say, "This is important for your safety, but we're not going to bother in the pool." (Not to mention, people seem to learn better when you have everyone check that their mouthpiece is secured versus when you pretend. We don't pretend we're clearing our masks, do we? :biggrin: Don't answer that, e.) I can understand that you could go through a lot of zip ties this way, but considering the stories I've read about people losing their mouthpieces mid-dive, I consider it a cost of proper education. :wink:

When I'm working with classes, I also use the zip-tied mouthpieces to my advantage. After class on Sunday, I gladly clip off the zip ties... but only as I load each student's BC/reg, on the correctly numbered hanger, into the van. If they don't have the right gear or hanger, or if something's wrong, I let them correct the issue before I take it and give them their mouthpiece. (It's amazing how even something as small as a mouthpiece is incentive for the less inclined students. :D)

By the way, having seen more than one person bite through a mouthpiece (for the record, that's biting *way* too hard :D), requiring everyone to have their own mouthpiece is a convenient way of avoiding mouthpiece wear and damage. :)
It makes sense to zip tie them in the pool, I was surprised to find out some places don't bother. We don't have them supply their own mouthpieces and until about 6years ago we didn't even disinfect the regs we just rinsed them in the shower to get the chlorine off. Now we have the students disinfect them with bleach solution as part of the gear rinse process. We do need to change our mouthpiece policy, some of the students are eating us out of house and home. We discussed giving them one "freebie" and if they chew through a second mouthpiece then they have to pay for a new one.

We have our gear locker on site and the students have to hand over a form of ID to check out the gear. Some of them forget to pick up their ID after returning the gear so I'm not so sure they would bother picking up a mouthpiece. Heck there is still a cheapie mask/fin/snorkel set in the dive locker a student left about 4 years ago and never bothered to pick up.

Scarier than what's on the mouthpiece is what is inside the second stage. I hate to bring this up...but I have been witness to some frightening fragments being removed from there. Replacing the mouthpiece only takes care of 50% of the gross problem! It's like putting a seat cover on one side of the toilet seat and not the other!

My instructor told this story to our class. They were servicing the regs one year and had hooked a reg up to a tank prior to disassembling it (for what reason I don't know). She pressed the purge valve and a big old loogie (aka hunk-o-snot) stretched out of the mouthpiece in a bubble shape then sucked back in as she screamed and let go of the purge. They threw that rig, tank and all into the pool and let it sit while they serviced the rest of the gear. The snot had dissolved by the time they pulled the tank out of the pool...gotta love the power of chlorine!

Don't forget Puke!

I'm kinda a germ-a-phoebe myself. The first Dive Trip I went on Back in 94 I rented my regulator from the dive shop we dove through. Like you, I supplied my very own mouthpieces as a sort of peace of mind thing. Not quite enough.

On the first day of diving I witnessed another student PUKE through their Rental Regulator! It was a seasick thing and they felt better after puking. That student was proud of how they handled the situation by keeping their composure and puking through the regulator.

That wasn't the grossest thing though. When we got back to the dock, that student gave the rental regulator a quick rinse in the tank with the other regulators and straight back to the rental department.

If you ever puke through a regulator you need to rinse it really well once you get out of the water to get all the little bits and pieces out. A quick dip in the rinse tank won't do the trick even if you swished it around underwater after getting sick.
Ber :lilbunny:

You could also rent a reg from your local shop to take with you on the trip and replace the mouth piece before the first dive, then you would be assured of having the same reg the entire time of your stay

Do you eat in a restaurant? If so, aparently you accept that glasses and silverware are Ok to share if they're washed well.

Simple solution, bring dish detergent (dis-infecting type if that makes you feel better) and maybe an old toothbrush and thoroughly clean the regs before using them.

The replacement mouthpieces will work too, and I'd be surprised if the dive shop objected to a free mouthpiece, but it's a waste of dough. BTW- don't forget the tiewraps.

By the way, having seen more than one person bite through a mouthpiece (for the record, that's biting *way* too hard :D), requiring everyone to have their own mouthpiece is a convenient way of avoiding mouthpiece wear and damage. :)

I've bitten through my [new] mouthpiece already. Only 20 dives and it already looks like a dog's chew toy. But its not from biting too hard, its from grinding my teeth underwater. It is amazing what OW students can get up to underwater and guess whose job it is to make sure they don't land up in the brown sticky stuff? Moi!

Seriously, I think I should charge the instructors I work for a mouthpiece surcharge for each course I DM for. :rofl3:

Don't forget Puke!

This got my mind wondering a little bit so I asked one of the dive masters if this happened a lot. He said it happened quite a bit to new divers and tourists. He said the motion of the ocean can sometimes make people sick, but they all should know to leave the regulator in their mouths when throwing up.

I immediately bought a brand new regulator from the dive shop

Best.Sales.Pitch.Ever.

Ever!

i am interested in doing a padi course, but after reading stories here about how common it is for ppl to puke into their regulator am a bit grossed out about using school equipment.

apart from having my own mouth piece, what bits of the 'regulator' would i need to buy, and will it be easy to connect it to the schools air tanks before each lesson?
thanks
B

i am interested in doing a padi course, but after reading stories here about how common it is for ppl to puke into their regulator am a bit grossed out about using school equipment.

apart from having my own mouth piece, what bits of the 'regulator' would i need to buy, and will it be easy to connect it to the schools air tanks before each lesson?
thanks
B

Each manufacturer has a slightly different sized mouth piece. What you can do is talk to the shop where you are taking your class and see if they will swap out the proper sized mouthpiece (yours) when you use their reg. I don't think the puking thing is much to get worried about. Hopefully the shop is considerate enough to thoroughly clean it. Eitherway, talk to the shop and be honest with them about your concerns. They should accomodate you given they want you to get certified and buy gear from them! :D

I did buy my reg soon after I got certified partly for that reason. I also bought my wife and kids masks and snorkels for an up coming trip even though the resort has all of their own. Just seems a little gross for me to use a snorkel that someone else just used....

Scarier than what's on the mouthpiece is what is inside the second stage. I hate to bring this up...but I have been witness to some frightening fragments being removed from there. Replacing the mouthpiece only takes care of 50% of the gross problem! It's like putting a seat cover on one side of the toilet seat and not the other!

The mouthpiece may be arguably the cleanest part, with the amount of rinsing & general water exposure it receives.

I inhaled someone else's hunk of phlegm during one of my certification dives right after high school. I coughed it back out into the second stage, gagged, and finished the dive. Before the next series of dives, I spent all of my limited funds on brand new regulator.

To this day, I'm a little leery of rental or loaner regulators.

Last edited:
Can't you just wash the mouth piece?

Water would probably be sufficient, but you could use some desinfectant that does not harm rubber. Alcohol perhaps?

6 year old thread broight to life. Wipe down the mouthpiece with a disinfectant wipe. Dive. Or bring your own. Or buy a reg. They're not that pricey if youre going somewhere else to dive... and clean the regs. Before you put it in your mouth swish it in the water, all around. Then do a quick purge underwater. It gets the phlem and spit and stuff out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom