Rental Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LazyWarg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
On the grand scale of things to be obsessive compulsive about, I suppose it could be much worse, but I have a major issue with "sharing saliva" with anyone but my wife. I'm talking about sharing drinks, forks, etc. It just "icks" me out, and I can't get over it.

So obviously this extends to rental regulators. So far I have only done my certification dives, and all I could think about was the stupid regulator and how many other mouths it had been in. I got through the dives, but it was just something that I shouldn't have to worry about.

I'll be diving in Belize and Mexico in November. I'm not ready to invest in a regulator of my own just yet, so I was thinking of bringing A): a bunch of cheap standard mouthpieces that I could get attached to the rental regs and leave when I am done, or B): some type of custom fit mouthpiece that I could remove after each dive to reuse on the next.

I know this would probably depend on the shops I will dive with, but do you think that either of these options would be a problem? Are there any other options to deal with this that you can think of?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Some shops actually have their students buy their own mouthpiece to use on the regulator during classes. They don't zip-tie the regs in place in the pool but I think I would want it secured for regular diving. Bring along some extra zip ties and a small cutter to remove zip ties without damaging the mouthpiece. You can put your own mouthpiece on the reg while you dive then remove it and re-attach the original mouthpiece with your extra zip ties. I wouldn't bother replacing the octopus mouthpiece, if you're to the point of needing to use it or being forced to use your buddies octo the "avoiding death" instinct should trump the "ick" instinct.

The operator may be willing to do the swap for you as well.
Ber :lilbunny:

Good advice from the rabbit, but are you making more of it than there might be?

After you put your mouthpiece on it, that virginal chunk will now get dragged around the dive op, the pier, the boat... or were you going to isolate it in a plastic baggie?

Then... after all of those precautions- you're going to dip it into the crystal clear blue ocean waters- laden with all sorts of microbes, bugs and invisible critters.

Maybe... pick your battles? Wipe the mouthpiece down with disinfectant? I dunno.

Make yourself a Chlorine Bleach/Water solution in a little spray bottle. Spray the mouthpiece and let it air dry. The correct proportions may be listed on the chlorine bottle or you may be able to find them on the American Red Cross website. Chlorine bleach kills everything. It's what the ARC uses to disinfect their Recessa-Annies after each CPR class. Be sure to get the right proportion of chlorine. Don't take the "more is better" approach. If you have too much chlorine in the mix, it will cause caustic burns to your lips and gums.

See corrections to procedure in next message...

Last edited:
Found this on the CDC website: "1/4 cup household bleach per gallon of tap water".

Leave wet for 10 mins then rinse with clean water and dry. Disinfectant solution should be made fresh as often as possible.

Last edited:
Found this on the CDC website: "1/4 cup household bleach per gallon of tap water".

Leave wet for 10 mins then rinse with clean water and dry. Disinfectant solution should be made fresh as often as possible.

At that rate you would not need a lot of bleach to make enough regulator rinse.

I do like the Rabbitt's the idea of replacing the mouthpice since torn or loose mouthpieces are fairly high on the list of thngs that can go wrong with a regulator list.

Pete

I got cold sores and pink eye a few weeks back from some rental regs. They may have nothing to do with one another, and I couldve caught somewhere else, but what was insane is we did certs at the lake, than the instructor used the same batch of regs for confined water with different students! Gross! Not to mention I will not even give this shop my business because of it anymore.

At that rate you would not need a lot of bleach to make enough regulator rinse.
Yeah, that's 2oz per 128oz. If you wanted to make 1 cup of solution, it would be 2/128=X/8 or 2*8/128=X=0.125 or in other words 1/8oz chlorine bleach in 1 cup of water.

I do like the Rabbitt's the idea of replacing the mouthpice since torn or loose mouthpieces are fairly high on the list of thngs that can go wrong with a regulator list.
Every Save-a-Dive kit should have a replacement mouthpiece and tie-wrap. If you know you're going to use one, have two.

I got cold sores and pink eye a few weeks back from some rental regs. They may have nothing to do with one another, and I couldve caught somewhere else, but what was insane is we did certs at the lake, than the instructor used the same batch of regs for confined water with different students! Gross! Not to mention I will not even give this shop my business because of it anymore.

Do I dare ask what shop?? Maybe reply in a PM if you don't want it public.. :)

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Spare mouthpieces, and the disinfectant are both good ideas to me. I'll definitely do one or the other when we go away.

RoatanMan: Your right about all the other stuff thats gonna get on the equipment. I've already considered those things (not to mention fish poo!), but strangely, they don't really bother me. I can't explain it...the mysteries of the mind:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom