Rental Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobeachlovers

Contributor
Reaction score
Which dive ops have the newest/ most reliable equipment for rent? Will need everything except the basics: fins, mask, snorkels.

Surprised there aren't a few more answers. I think Scuba Tony is another that would make the list.

Surprised there aren't a few more answers. I think Scuba Tony is another that would make the list.
I would hazard a guess that most of us in here have our own gear. I don't, however, and I have always been happy with the rental gear at Blue Angel.

True but we do get to see what others on the boat may have rented.

I can't answer your question specifically, but I think you will find that any of the dive operators regularly mentioned on this site will have modern name brand equipment regularly maintained and safe to use. in no particular order: Aldora, Dive With Martin, Blue Magic, Blue XTSea, Tres Pelicanos, Living Underwater, and many others will all have newer up to date equipment.

The only equipment issue I have read about involved an operator that caters to cruise ship divers, has large packed boats, and a generally less than stellar reputation anyway. In our first dive trip to Cozumel(on a cruise ship no less), we dove with Dive With Martin specifically to avoid this operator. I'm not going to name them because I was not there to see the issue and do not have any personal first hand knowledge of the incident. (Like Abraham Lincoln said...."Don't believe everything you read on the Internet) Diving with Dive With Martin was perfect in every way!

We have our own equipment, but I have never seen a serious equipment failure on the boat. The three operators we have used have all provided excellent service which is the standard on the island. Worrying about equipment is certainly a legitimate concern, but not one I would lose much sleep over if you are using any of the operators regularly mentioned on this site.

If you have not done a Cozumel night dive, do yourself a favor and book a night dive while your there. All of the main operators offer night dives. You will thank me later.

Safe travels,
Jay

I can't answer your question specifically, but I think you will find that any of the dive operators regularly mentioned on this site will have modern name brand equipment regularly maintained and safe to use. in no particular order: Aldora, Dive With Martin, Blue Magic, Blue XTSea, Tres Pelicanos, Living Underwater, and many others will all have newer up to date equipment.

The only equipment issue I have read about involved an operator that caters to cruise ship divers, has large packed boats, and a generally less than stellar reputation anyway. In our first dive trip to Cozumel(on a cruise ship no less), we dove with Dive With Martin specifically to avoid this operator. I'm not going to name them because I was not there to see the issue and do not have any personal first hand knowledge of the incident. (Like Abraham Lincoln said...."Don't believe everything you read on the Internet) Diving with Dive With Martin was perfect in every way!

We have our own equipment, but I have never seen a serious equipment failure on the boat. The three operators we have used have all provided excellent service which is the standard on the island. Worrying about equipment is certainly a legitimate concern, but not one I would lose much sleep over if you are using any of the operators regularly mentioned on this site.

If you have not done a Cozumel night dive, do yourself a favor and book a night dive while your there. All of the main operators offer night dives. You will thank me later.

Safe travels,
Jay
I hope I have the nerve to try a night dive this trip...will see how comfortable i feel once I complete the check out dives:)

Completely off the original topic, sorry....

My wife was afraid to do a back roll entry the first time in Coz. On our first night dive (probably her 10th dive total) she probably started peeing in her wet suit before we left the dock. She was about as nervous as the only cat at the dog pound. Then.....she dropped in and the magic happened, we paired up with the DM and she went face to face with her first octopus...then a sea snake (she hates snakes) but loved him, then huge lobsters, and all of the awesome sea life you don't sea during the day. My scaredy cat wife was hooked in less than 5 minutes of her first night dive. Now, she would rather night dive than day dive! One DM described it like a big city. During the day you see all the 9-5 citizens doing their normal daily routine.....but once the sun goes down, the party starts.

Most night dives will be on a shallow reef, usually around 40 feet. My bet is the first time you see an octopus change colors to match the reef it's just run to, you will be hooked as well.

Now back to the regular topic......
Jay

...we paired up with the DM and she went face to face with her first octopus...then a sea snake (she hates snakes) but loved him...
Actually a sharptail eel, most likely. Sea snakes are not indigenous to the Caribbean.

Although it's not the answer to the specific question asked I agree with Jayfarmlaw's message. In roughly 700 tanks of diving in Cozumel I think I've seen only 2 or 3 rental equipment problems & they were remedied quickly on the boat before the dives & none were major. Things that get used often perform much better than things which sit for long periods of time between uses & New just means "Untested & Unproven". As an auto mechanic you'd be very surprised to know how many new parts I've installed only to find out they are defective either right out of the box or a short time later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom