rental equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Would you ever dive with rental equipment in a shore, or recreational dive?

When you travel, do you rent or bring your own equipment?

I bring everything but the tank(s).

*Edit - that being said, I would not be opposed to renting if need be. Say my luggage was inexplicably lost via the airline and I had a choice to rent or not to dive....I would probably rent, although it would be really hard to dive a stab jacket again.

Hi,

I used my own dive equipment's travel around South East Asia except cylinders. You must know where you travel and your diving gears for any environment?

Cheer
Jason

Taca air is known for 'misplacing' luggage. I carried on my regs and mask. Everything else I rented until my bags caught up with me.

I dont quite have the chutzpah to wear the wing on my back on the plane.

Though now that I think about it, and inflated wing might make the seats more comfortable.

Jorbar1551:
Would you ever dive with rental equipment in a shore, or recreational dive?

Never had to but don't see why not, if I know and trust the people I am renting from. Here in Thailand, there's a place in Krabi (Scuba Addicts) that offer rental Halcyon aluminium backplates and Eclipse 30 wings; a shop nearby (Krabi Dive Supply) can be pursuaded to rent bp/Explorer wings and doubles - I've gone diving with the owners and will rent equipment from them if I had to.

Jorbar1551:
When you travel, do you rent or bring your own equipment?

I always take my own equipment, except gas cylinders.

I take everything but the gas cylinders and weight. The sky caps hate me... but I tip well :)

Additionally, if my baggage got lost, and I knew the gear or the establishment, I would rent. For instance: I am going on GUE Cayman Quest to Grand Cayman at end of February and diving with Ocean Frontiers. If something happend and my luggage was gone, I'd rent in a heartbeat from Fraser.

Chris

I take all my gear when I travel (except of course tanks/weights.) I would use rental gear if I had to and it was in good shape, though that's only happened to me once when my luggage went AWOL for a day. If I was traveling someplace for another reason and getting in only a couple dives I might consider renting bigger stuff like BC/fins, but I'd still take reg/mask/computer.

KMD:
Taca air is known for 'misplacing' luggage. I carried on my regs and mask. Everything else I rented until my bags caught up with me.

I dont quite have the chutzpah to wear the wing on my back on the plane.

Though now that I think about it, and inflated wing might make the seats more comfortable.

Funny you'd bring up TACA. About 8 years ago when I was in college, my boss and his wife were very avid divers and took a trip that used TACA. He came back complaining how bad the service was and that TACA stood for Take A Chance Airlines. :D

But I digress....

I carry on my regs/computer/canister light. Everything else goes in luggage. I like the idea about wearing the BP/W on the plane though...2 birds with one stone! :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom