Rental DUI TLS350 suits- would you buy one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

My LDS is planning to clear out their current crop of rental drysuits in the spring. These are all DUI TLS350's- either front or shoulder entry suits. They are all ~2 years old. The front entry suits would sell for ~$500, and the shoulder entry suits would sell for about ~$200. Is this a good deal, and would you buy one or just save up until you can afford a new one? If my basis is comparing it to new, it seems like a good deal, but if I consider the worst-case of having to replace all the seals and zipper (at DUI's repair rates) it stops looking like such a good deal. What should I expect to have to do to the suit if I buy it? Should I immediately send it off to DUI for pressure testing just to be sure of it's condition? Also, what sort of life expetancy should I expect out of one of these suits?

Thanks,
John

If it's a rental it may have zips installed. It depends on the overall condition of the suit, if it looks to be in good condition, then it probably is. Will your shop allow you to pick one and dive it first? Holes in a TLS are no big deal, and easily fixed. As far as the seals go, if there not zips, I would avoid DUI for the replacements. (High cost) And get a price from an authorized repair shop for the work. The price seems pretty fair to me if they are in good shape. If you don't beat it up, and care for it properly, you can get a lot of use out of these suits.

For 2 year old suits, that is a good price. If all you have to replace is the seals, that would cost you $200-250 for neck, wrist seals. If you have to replace the zipper, that will cost $200 -250. As the previous poster stated, if you can dive the suit before buying it, then you can pcik the best one.

Jim

Those suits with Zip seals would cost a heck of a lot more new... even with a new set of seals, and replaced zipper, you're still $1000 ahead of the game.

Not sure if they have zips or not. Let's assume worst-case they don't and I retrofit the suit with zips ($418 through DUI for the retrofit and test/eval) does this still sound like a good deal?

Check the price on an NEW TLS - How much were they used? Every day?

howarde:
Check the price on an NEW TLS - How much were they used? Every day?

New TLS350 at the LDS is ~$1600, and the shoulder entry is ~$1000. Add $300 to that for zip seals and I'd be looking at ~$1900 or $1300 for new.

If I assume the rentals were in the ocean every weekend two dives every saturday and every sunday (unlikely) that would be around 400 dives on the suit. So, would you pay $600 (shoulder entry) or $1100 (front entry) for a suit with 400 dives on it (assumes I have to spend the $400 to retrofit zips)? How many more dives should I expect out of it. Someone at the LDS threw out a number of 1500 dives. If I could get another 1000 dives out of a suit that I paid this kind of money for I'd be thrilled, but I'm not sure if this is realistic.

LG Diver:
New TLS350 at the LDS is ~$1600, and the shoulder entry is ~$1000. Add $300 to that for zip seals and I'd be looking at ~$1900 or $1300 for new.

If I assume the rentals were in the ocean every weekend two dives every saturday and every sunday (unlikely) that would be around 400 dives on the suit. So, would you pay $600 (shoulder entry) or $1100 (front entry) for a suit with 400 dives on it (assumes I have to spend the $400 to retrofit zips)? How many more dives should I expect out of it. Someone at the LDS threw out a number of 1500 dives. If I could get another 1000 dives out of a suit that I paid this kind of money for I'd be thrilled, but I'm not sure if this is realistic.
Probably not... when you put it that way... I would probably spring the extra for a new one.

LG Diver:
Not sure if they have zips or not. Let's assume worst-case they don't and I retrofit the suit with zips ($418 through DUI for the retrofit and test/eval) does this still sound like a good deal?
no..you can get a dui cnse for close to what you are spending..I don't have the price book in front of me but I think it list msrp at $1,100.with a lds discount it could be anywhere from a high of $975. to $875...most lds include a dry speciality class with that also..I know I do..so if you buy the $200 used suit and get zip seals installed you are at $618..and the zipper may have to be replaced also,and any leaks..and you will want a spare set of zip seals to keep in a save a dive kit..not worth it..

Do a little more homework before you kill the deal. Many shops get the suits with zips so they can keep several sizes on hand for the renters. They can generate more income that way in correctly fitting seals to the customer. If the suit has zips, and is in good condition, without a bunch of holes and abrasions, and the feet are still good, then I still think it's not a bad deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom