Rental computers and newer divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2. You can’t blame the manual for having too much info and simply ignore it. Use the search function wisely.
Well, yes, you actually can. BoulderJohn addressed this point: many dive computer manuals are crap because the useful info is scattered around the document amidst a sea of (immediately) unnecessary info. If the manuals were well-designed, they'd be far less centered on describing features and far more focused on enabling a diver to actually use the device in context.

Many computers have terrible interfaces impossible to use without the manual, others are simplicity itself.

A terrible example is the Suunto Zoop Novo. Out shop rents these and I have to get out the manual or a demo app on my phone to set it for Nitrox.
Couldn't agree more. The Novo computers are an exercise in frustration. The prior generation of Suuntos (including the Vyper, which I used for about 20 years) were almost Shearwater-level intuitive. Strangely, those smart Finnish engineers felt the need to reinvent the interface and screwed it up royally.

Couldn't agree more. The Novo computers are an exercise in frustration. The prior generation of Suuntos (including the Vyper, which I used for about 20 years) were almost Shearwater-level intuitive. Strangely, those smart Finnish engineers felt the need to reinvent the interface and screwed it up royally.
the novo work fine you just need a sledgehammer to press a button.

The 3 button Suunto’s were pretty good for navigating
functions, the 4 button model’s (Vyper 2) were a challenge.

The 3 button Suunto’s were pretty good for navigating
functions, the 4 button model’s (Vyper 2) were a challenge.
I never had the Vyper 2. Just a couple of personal Vypers and lots of Zoops in rental (until they all bit the depth sensor bullet). It was never an issue showing new divers how to run them. Suunto has really lost the plot in the later years. Shearwater and Garmin have eaten their breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I've used non-AI wrist computers for almost 20 years. I keep the current one, and its charger dongle, in my mask box. Since I can't dive without my prescription mask, even if I rent all the rest of the gear I'm still going to have my computer.

I think the most concerning part of your story John, was that your instabuddy didn't know how to read the NDL. I understand that setting nitrox can be a bitch (I own a zoop Novo after all) but most dive computers have the NDL as the biggest number on the screen. And it counts down... That person must have never dived with a computer before.

... I had asked several operators if I could just bring the computers and attach them to their regs, they all said no. This is the one reason I would recommend hose-less AI comps, and will go that route next time.

And the part of it all that led you to believe they'll let you attach your transmitter to their regs is?

I think the most concerning part of your story John, was that your instabuddy didn't know how to read the NDL. I understand that setting nitrox can be a bitch (I own a zoop Novo after all) but most dive computers have the NDL as the biggest number on the screen. And it counts down... That person must have never dived with a computer before.

I wouldn't be too sure about that: it's just as likely that he didn't look, knowing that he wasn't going to exceed the NDL on that dive, and then was "puzzled looking at his computer" that computed him mandatory deco.

Granted, checking the O2 setting would probably be the first thing I'd do during SI in his place. And conservatism setting. And dive history, to see if the previous renter's loading maybe wasn't cleared. But then I am an "it professional".

actually thinking about it maybe he didn't even now how to use and dive nitrox. To have a c-card it s one thing to demonstrate you ability to master it after it s another thing.

Back
Top Bottom