Rental car insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a1parrothead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
Will be in Cozumel in July. Will probably rent a car from Avis. What insurance should I buy? I am covered by my own ins., but have been told I should purchase more from Avis. I am confused, because I can get the "personal injury" for about 3.99 a day. But the other is about 20.00 a day. Thats expensive! What do I need to get to avoid a problem if I get in an accident?
Thanks, Jeff

We are renting from Less Pay. Jeep is $30/day, liab ins. is $10 a day. This will be our 3rd time to rent from them. Vehicles arent as new as the other agencies, but down there that is a GOOD thing. :) Small dents/scratches would never be noticed unless it was glaring. So I always just get the liability and drive carefully.

Ask the insurance agent who provides your auto coverage whether it applies in Coz. Different companies have different language. Your agent will know for sure.

what about American Express, Bruce?

take all the insurance they offer, liability and collision. Trust me, it is much, much easier if an accident should happen. Voice of experience speaking here.

Spend the extra $20 per day unless you are prepared to pay for any and all damages to all parties, at inflated repair costs, regardless of fault before leaving Cozumel. God forbid there should be personal injuries involved.

Despite what your credit card companies or insurance policies at home say, you will not get out of Mexico without paying for any damages to your rental vehicle and the other vehicle if you are unfortunate enough to be in an accident. The you will have to get reimbursed by your insurance company...they will not file a claim from here on your foreign policy. If you have the insurance supplied by the rental car company, you are covered and can be done with it.

I respect your opinion Christy, but I do not agree. 20 dollars a day times the number of days I have rented a car in my life would not be prudent for me. I would be better off saving and investing my money (and so would most people) and paying for whatever comes up. Insurance companies have run the numbers, and they come out ahead.

catherine96821:
I respect your opinion Christy, but I do not agree. 20 dollars a day times the number of days I have rented a car in my life would not be prudent for me. I would be better off saving and investing my money (and so would most people) and paying for whatever comes up. Insurance companies have run the numbers, and they come out ahead.

It's not an opinion, it's fact...but I guess you know better how the rental car agencies and the laws work here and how much an accident will cost someone.

This IS NOT the United States and the same laws do not apply.

$20 x 5 is $100...I can absolutely guarantee you that it would cost you more than $100 to get off this island if you were involved in an accident. If there were personal injuries involved, you would actually sit in jail until the victim (or their family) decided how much money they wanted out of you. That is the brutal truth.

$20 a day will save you all that hassle.

BTW...what motive would I have for encouraging people to take the insurance other than to save them ALOT of grief on their vacation.

But hey, what do I know...

like I said, I respect your opinion, so why jump me?

I think you will find some very prudent people that will agree with us both.

I would rather save my money and deal with hassel when/if it happens.

Actually there is quite a movement to become self-insured. It isn't just idiots like me.
And yes, I have even lived in foreign countries.

Christi:
It's not an opinion, it's fact...

My understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are involved in an accident in MX, you stay in jail/holding until the debt is covered. Having that insurance company come setting things is quite important.

If there were personal injuries involved, you would actually sit in jail until the victim (or their family) decided how much money they wanted out of you. That is the brutal truth.

Guess I should have read the entire post before responding :). So my information is only correct for personal injury, not for property damage?

But hey, what do I know...

'merkin lawyer running a dive shop in MX? My guess is you're still learning something new every day :wink:...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom