rent or buy BC/reg for vacation diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With regular maintenance id say buy the gear. how much is your safety worth? the gear at many of the places i've visited outside of the United States were in poor condition at best bcs held together with zip ties, and regs with no ziptie on the mouthpiece and broken consoles. If you can afford it buy good used gear and keep up on the maintenance that way you know your gear and know what to look for if there is a problem. I would purchase, reg computer then bc in that order.

+1 It's YOUR life..how much is it worth? Buy new and maintain....

That is so ridiculous.

There are plenty of reasons to buy new, but the "your gonna die if you buy used gear" isn't one of them.

To the OP, I like having my gear. I know how it works. I know it's in good condition. I'm comfortable in it. I wouldn't regret buying my own gear even if I didnt dive as much as I do.

Here is a new BC for $180.00

Cressi Start BCD

Here is a new reg for $129

Mares Ranger 2 Regulator

Here is a new puter with SPG for $199

Aeris XR-1 Computer Console

This is me spending less than five minutes looking at LP. Used is also an option.

I get my reg serviced at TDL. It runs around $75. That includes reg, octo and gauges.

I have my gear serviced based on how much I dive, every 100 or so dives. Make sure you rinse your gear well after each dive trip in salt water, and at least rinse after each dive day.

Anyone who says you have to spend $500 on a reg or BC is drinking the LDS Koolaid....

Reg service at Scubatoys is $49.95 labor, free parts if your regulator is covered under a "free parts" program. You pay shipping one way. Service covers 1st and 2nd stage plus octo. Other parts (octo inflator, etc) extra.

Scuba Regulator Repair - Scuba Annual Service

On a straight cost basis, it might not make sense to buy (especially with some of the prices some of the posters came up with), but in my opinion owning your own gear will enhance your diving experience. That you dive very occasionally makes it all the more important that you are familiar with your gear, since you spend every seventh dive knocking the rust off. The other thing to consider is the inconvenience of lugging your gear. It can be nice to travel unencumbered. For me, though, as a fellow vacation diver (though I manage a little bit more diving and a little bit more vacation), diving with my own gear is easily worth the added inconvenience and added expense.

By the way, LeisurePro offered this ScubaPro Classic BC (list price $500) to me by email for $200, because it has been discontinued by ScubaPro. If I hadn't already bought one for $275 I would have snapped it up. Call them and show them a bid.

:rofl3:

And then of course you will fly yourself, your new gear, and possibly your loved ones to the dive destination on an airplane assembled with parts supplied by the lowest bidder. :D

Seriously, no matter how hard we try, we can not eliminate risk, and rental gear has not proven itself to be terribly risky, in most areas. There are going to be exceptions, of course, but I rented for quite a few years, with very minimal issues, and no issues that I have not seen occur even with new gear on occasion.

In you're case I'd rent the BC and reg.

What I would buy is a wetsuit, a wrist compass and wrist computer. The wetsuit for the fit, and the others because my experience has been the compass and computer are often not available. Secondarily the computer may be a problem to figure out well on the spot if you do rent.

Adam

Reg service at Scubatoys is $49.95 labor, free parts if your regulator is covered under a "free parts" program. You pay shipping one way. Service covers 1st and 2nd stage plus octo. Other parts (octo inflator, etc) extra.

Scuba Regulator Repair - Scuba Annual Service

They charge up to $30 in parts, and 19.95 for the octo not including parts....That is a great deal but for $50 you are not getting it done...heck I have not had my reg/octo serviced this year so TDL may have gone up....

They charge up to $30 in parts, and 19.95 for the octo not including parts....That is a great deal but for $50 you are not getting it done...heck I have not had my reg/octo serviced this year so TDL may have gone up....

Our two reg sets are serviced for under $100 ... works for me.

Ebay is your friend...especially if you're not in a rush.

Get an idea of stuff you like. Do some research. Keep a search on Ebay for that stuff, in your size.

Occasionally, you'll get good stuff going for an absolute rock-bottom bargain price. Get it. You're not in a hurry.

Educate yourself about how to clean and store your equipment. Be meticulous with it. It won't cost a fortune in servicing each year if you look after it.

Back
Top Bottom