Renewing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am in the process of renewing for issue number 4 my 100-ton near coastal license...expires 8/11

Anyone done this recently? It seems a lot easier these days....

Amazing if that's true. I gave up renewing my 100-ton in Honolulu after it got so onerous dealing with the cretards at MSO Honolulu. They were going to administratively downgrade me to a 25-ton ticket because out of a total of 1100 sea days in the preceding 5-years, only 200 of them were on a 100-ton vessel.
I was done with driving for a living anyway, so it was no big thing. And this was before the STCM 95 and TWIC stuff. I heard some real renewal horror stories about that stuff.
Good luck up there with that.

Wow..that suxx...I hope they are more civil with me. My original license was done in Honolulu, the last two I renewed in Nawlins....

Everything is done in West Virginia. Why get the local MSO involved? Get your packet together dot the i's and cross the t's, then double check it over again. The big thing now is the the physical.
Make sure you use the new form...(7 pages?) Check on the Captain to Captain forum. I posted my renewal experience there from last March (2010). You can follow it all on line as it makes it way through.

tb

Everything is done in West Virginia. Why get the local MSO involved?
Read closer, you may not know as much about this process as you think because things have changed...it says if you send the renewal package to West Virginia it slows the process down. Packets must go to a REC.

This from the FAQ's:
# Where can I renew my U.S. mariner credentials? You may apply for renewal at any of the 17 Coast Guard Regional Examination Centers (RECs). You must satisfy requirements for renewal including the completion of an application form and payment of user fees. All of these requirements are described in this guide. To see a list of RECs and their locations,

Also:
Please do not mail your application to the National Maritime Center (NMC) directly as this will cause significant delays in the processing of your application
See This Link

Jim, come join us in the Captain's forum. I am in the process of a change in grade and I spoke to the folks in WVA. Definately better to send it to a REC so they can send it to WVA. Gotta love bureaucracy.

Big difference between the MSO (Marine Safety Office) and the REC (regional exam center). Yes you do send your packet to a local REC. The REC is supposed to look it over for errors than send it to W. VA for processing. I've (hopefully) attached the pdf that I have about tonnage increases. Sounds like Tom was dealing with the old school. 200 days should have been enough to maintain his 100 ton ticket.

tb

Attachments

• tonnage_increase.pdf
    48.9 KB · Views: 136

Attachments

• USCG Email application info.pdf
    131.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Dan
Yes, you can scan and email everything to the USCG as it is quicker and you can track the status via their website.
License Renewal Checklist

1) Complete an Application Form (fillable forms available at USCG National Maritime Center)

2) All Mariners MUST complete a physical exam (CG-719K), which is subject to CG review for a fitness for duty determination, before a License will be issued.

Note: According to 46 CFR Part 10.215.d.1: a medical exam must be documented and of such scope to ensure that there are no conditions that pose an inordinate risk of sudden incapacitation or debilitating complication. These reports (46 CFR 215.f) must be submitted within 12 months from the date signed by the licensed medical professional.

3) You must complete a DOT 5 Panel Drug Test (CG-719P) from a certified lab or be enrolled in approved drug testing program. Please visit the USCG NMC website in regards to drug testing approved labs and tests.

4) When a License is issued, renewed, upgraded, or otherwise modified, the OCMI will determine whether the applicant is qualified. Certain additional training requirements or refresher training may be implemented that are required for renewal or raise in grade of an MMC.

5) TWIC Card You must have a TWIC and be able to send a copy with your renewal application. See TWIC Card above for more info.

6) Sea Service Requirements or equivalent as follows:
a. 360 days of appropriate service within the previous 5 years OR
b. 3 years out of the previous 5 years in a marine related field OR
c. Complete an the Mariners Learning System approved course for renewal OR
d. Complete an open book examination issued by the USCG for a $45.00 fee OR
e. Renew for continuity purposes only – inactive status

7) User Fees paid to the USCG or to expedite processing, pay through www.pay.gov and send your receipt with your application. Current fees are available on USCG National Maritime Center

8) Copy of expiring MMC

9) Training certificates (if applicable) i.e. Radar Re certification, STCW etc.

10) Any other courses, assessments, or paperwork the USCG deems necessary.

Took 12 days from when I dropped my package off at the Miami REC (I've never been there in my life, my license was issues in B'more and maintained in Houston), and 12 days later I had a raise in grade of my skippers ticket to 200 tons, a renewal of my Engineers ticket, and my new MMD in my hand. I'm told that if you need a medical review it takes significantly longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom