Removing Paint From LP72

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rustproof steel protection by hot-dip galvanizing Corbec

Since corrosion is an electrochemical process, it will attack the surrounding zinc rather than the exposed steel. Contrary to other types of processes claiming to provide corrosion protection, it is not required to touch-up noticeable cracks, flaws or gaps on galvanized coatings as they are self-healing.

I'd be nervous about aftermarket hot dip galvanizing. The 800-900F temperature is getting kind of close to the annealing temperature, and that temperature is timed. I don't know what it would do to the heat treating. Any engineers or metallurgists on the board who might care to comment?

I've had decent luck with cold galvanizing compounds so far. People speak well of ZRC and say it works better than the stuff I've used, but I have not tried it yet.

I was reviewing my PSI PCI materials yesterday, and I believe I read the the heat damage thresholds were 600F for steel and 350F for aluminum.

I will also point out that if you do affect the integrity of the cylinder, unless you have your own compressor then it is an unfortunate fill station operator that may find out the hard way.

I'd be nervous about aftermarket hot dip galvanizing. The 800-900F temperature is getting kind of close to the annealing temperature, and that temperature is timed. I don't know what it would do to the heat treating. Any engineers or metallurgists on the board who might care to comment?

I've had decent luck with cold galvanizing compounds so far. People speak well of ZRC and say it works better than the stuff I've used, but I have not tried it yet.

I wasn't suggesting after market hot dip. I was pointing out the self healing properties of galvanize. I have never had a rust problem with hydro stamps on my galvanized 72's, one of which is 62 years old.

ZRC Galvilite is the best, end of story.

word of caution DO NOT HEAT ALUMINUM CYLINDERS
Alum tempers at low tempers depending on the alloy room starting at room temperatures. Years ago when Powder coating was getting started someone had a tank powered and baked. It blew up when being filled. Powder coating typically bakes at 350 to 400 degrees F.
Scrape, sand, use scotch bright. a 2 part urethane paint give s great finish it just needs up to 30 days to reach a full cure

Back
Top Bottom