Removing Paint From LP72

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdavo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought this LP72 today. The inside of the tank looks nice and clean, but the yellow paint (or epoxy?) coating on the outside of the tank is chipping off. The tank is galvanized under the coating. Is there an easy way to strip off the coating while leaving the zinc underneath undamaged?

Attachments

• 20190101_181037.jpg
    20190101_181037.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 169
Also, does anyone have any pointers for trying to get the "+" rating when I have this tank hydro'd? My local shop told me that they couldn't certify my other LP72 (Norris) with a "+" rating because they don't have the REE number for the tank.

I bought this LP72 today. The inside of the tank looks nice and clean, but the yellow paint (or epoxy?) coating on the outside of the tank is chipping off. The tank is galvanized under the coating. Is there an easy way to strip off the coating while leaving the zinc underneath undamaged?

The thick vinyl coating can be removed with a combination of heat and a scraper. I find that LP72s will fit in my kitchen oven. It does not take much heat, start with the oven's lowest setting. Then see if you can scrape it off without too much of a fight. Some tanks are easier than others. You may find a heat gun useful for trouble spots. I find that acetone is useful for getting off the last of the residue, but be careful as it is extremely flammable, and don't use it in combination with heat.

Also, does anyone have any pointers for trying to get the "+" rating when I have this tank hydro'd? My local shop told me that they couldn't certify my other LP72 (Norris) with a "+" rating because they don't have the REE number for the tank.

It varies from one hydro shop to the next. Near me, there are three local hydro shops that will test scuba cylinders. One "doesn't do" + ratings, they're great for aluminum cylinders and HP steels. Another one will + rate most cylinders but not Norris LP72s, but has a reputation for condemning perfectly good cylinders. The third one will + rate most cylinders including PST and Norris LP72s, but won't + rate Kidde LP72s. You can call around and ask, either talk to the hydro places yourself or talk to the dive shops.

You may find that there are local dive shops that will give you a good fill even without the + stamped on the cylinder. It varies.

Thanks for the info. I have access to some very large, precisely controlled ovens. I'll try heating up the tank and scraping the coating off. Does 150 F sound like a reasonable starting point?

I'll call around and see if anyone local will + rate this cylinder for me.

Technically, your shop is correct. Without the REE number there is no way to give the + rating.

Some shops will just do it anyways though.

Technically, your shop is correct. Without the REE number there is no way to give the + rating.

Some shops will just do it anyways though.

Some shops claim to have older manufacturer publications in their files that provide a source for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom