Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
Not a national treasure? It's one of only two diveable carriers in the world,
What more do you need for it to be considered a national treasure?

A state can if the federal government says they can.

And it's not as much a legal issue as it is a moral issue - one of repect and consideration for others. Even if it were legal (which it is not, depite your own perosnal views and wishes)

Alright now! I draw the line at others putting words in my mouth! Especially a SB mod! :light:

I stated from the beginning that I thought it was wrong to take anything from this wreck. It was clearly placed there for the enjoyment of all divers. I am only interested in the other half of the story, the legal aspect. My questions were strictly from an academic standpoint, and vague references by Fish and Game didn't sate my curiosity.

As to the first part; national treasures are housed in museums, not sunk into then ocean. I fully understand the historical contributions of this ship, but that does not make it a national treasure. And just because there are few carriers that can be dove, doesn't make it a national treasure either.

FD

PerroneFord:
Basically, when the guy posted about "salvaging" something off the wreck, I asked, "What do you mean salvaged?" The reply was that something was removed. I wrote back, "Well I guess I better go dive it before you guys bring it up a piece at a time."

Then I unsubscribed.

At least I now understand why the NE Wreck divers love those 100# bungie wings. Hammers, chisels, and hacksaws are pretty negative.

Got any names or are you just slamming NE Wreck divers in general? I basically take offense to your comment Perrone.
Mark

Well guys i am wanting to dive the "O" when i get to Florida later in the year, you have helped me decide who to spend my charter money with and who not to, so i say thank you.

fire_diver:
Alright now! I draw the line at others putting words in my mouth! Especially a SB mod! :light:

ok, well (why can't i just shut up?) i don't think he put words in your mouth,
and he wasn't acting in his official Mod capacity, so i don't see what the fact that
he is a Mod has to do with him expressing his opinion on this subject

basically, he disagreed with you (as i do) that the Oriskany is in fact a national
treasure, even if most people wouldn't recognize it as such

solodiver in nj:
Got any names or are you just slamming NE Wreck divers in general? I basically take offense to your comment Perrone.
Mark

I am slamming the mentality that hacksawing, chiseling, and stealing off wrecks is Ok. This mentality seems to be widely supported in the Northeast. If the shoe doesn't fit... I was BORN in NJ, so don't go there.

Up here in the PNW...the artificial reefs we have are in Canada..B.C. to be more specific...I think if any one of us took something off of the ships we would not be allowed back onto the dive boat...I guess we don't want or we respect the ship for those that manned it...
I would just leave the stuff...
Just my 02PSI
K

Shoot...think I'll get me a crane and just take the whole damn island for a lawn ornament, it's just a wreck...

idiots abound...

Mike

it is very hard to get upset about this, isn't it?

I mean..in the scope of things.

I have a friend from Jakarta and the police just took away some china from some wreck divers...and they sold it to my friend. He has it in his coffee table, under some glass. Blue and white from China, and yes, it has the stamp on the bottom. I think it is very valuable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom